Settlement

Voyager
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: Settlement

Post by kostmayer »

McAvoy wrote:Another would be native diseases and viruses. I forgot the name of DS9 episode about that crazy PeTA-like lady intentionally shipwrecking a colony ship on the planet where no technology works. They do well except for the diseases that keep killing them off.
Paradise - one of my fave DS9 episodes.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I like the episode too. I would like it even better if it wasn't for that bat-shit crazy woman. But you remove her then you remove one the best parts about the episode.....
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:That was because it was a potentially life-threatening condition.
Actually deviated spines aren't particularly life threatening, and can be treated in a variety of ways other than genetics. B'Elanna had a deviated spine which was corrected by surgery.

But either way, the whole point is that a small population will give rise to dangerous genetic issues. If they're willing to use genetics to cure problems then they remove a lot of that issue.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Normally I'd say that diseases are unlikely to have any effect on a crew of people from another planet but this is trek where you can catch anything from anyone.