Fleet to hold DS9

Deep Space Nine
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Fleet to hold DS9

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:Not really, its not even the distance to our nearest star neighbour. Not even one system.
A GCS is 640 m long. You don't think a few LY is large enough to contain a moderately-sized fleet?

You're trying to push a point which I didn't argue. As I said, I was merely responding to your contention that a fleet COULD NOT fit in the space of a few days' travel.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Fleet to hold DS9

Post by McAvoy »

I always got the impression that Bajor was only hours away from Cardassian border if not Cardassia itself. Assuming that then DS9 is near the front lines and might be already protected by a fleet. Also DS9 took out 50 ships before being taken over. I would say that it would take about a couple hundred ships at most to protect that sector of DS9 if a similar sized fleet were to take it over again.

However without the safe passage of the wormhole, DS9 is really nothing more than a staging point for the Allied fleet.

DS9 fleets have always been packed in real tight. If DS9 battles were set up like a Battle of Jutland, then at most you would see maybe a dozen or so ships at any given time. You wouldn't even see the enemy ships either.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"