The King's Speech

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

The King's Speech

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Just got back from seeing this. If you get the chance, it's well worth checking out.

It's the true (but probably heavily fictionalised) account of King George VI. The poor man had a terrible stammering problem, not the kind of thing you need if you have to make frequent speeches to millions of people across the world. After trying many stuffy old useless doctors, he finally stumbles across an Australian who actually seems able to help him. Much of the story is about how George slowly improves his speech, interspersed with some background showing the scandal which gradually consumed his brother, forcing him to abdicate and George to take his place on the throne - all in the lead up to World War II, no less. At the climax of the movie George has to make a radio address about the declaration of war, live on radio to the entire world.

In this age of CGI spectacle and monsters, the climax of this movie is simply five minutes of a man reading from a piece of paper whilst his friend and therapist silently urges him on. And I kid you not, I sat with an entire audience, on the edge of my seat, just absolutely willing the man to get his words out.

Go see it!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Re: The King's Speech

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Bloody good fucking movie! :-)

Graham will understand the profanity. To the others, I strongly suggest you give it a try.

It will also give you a healthy brush-up on your comprehension of the darn english accent. Gotta say, I lost track of the conversation more than I'd care to admit.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I saw it again last night with my wife. She was seeing it for the first time, I saw it last Saturday with Graham. My wife thinks it's one of the best films she's seen in a long time. We both highly recommend it. It's very very good. It's about 2 hours long and you hardly notice the time passing.
email, ergo spam
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I've wanted to see this. Too bad I'm broke.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.