SF Debris: Flashback

Voyager
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: SF Debris: Flashback

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:They f***ed Garret Wang coming and going didn't they?
At least they cut his hair. Have you seen him lately?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Can't say I have.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Funny. Many people claim Jery Ryan got her part because of her look, but we can safely say Garret Wang kept his because of his look.

He's the masculine equivalent of the pretty girl on the bridge that is there to look cute for Kirk, but for Janeway instead. It also shows that while Kirk's sexual arousal came from miniskirts, Janeway's is more on sadism, again, the analogy is perfect.

Harry Kim is, I think, more than Janeway ever was, a statement about gender equality, showing that men also can get (and keep) their parts while they have no talent or character to act, but just because the audience have the hotz for them.

In order words, we are getting more equal in the smallest common denominator. Go equality!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Personally, I don't think the role of Harry Kim is in any way a fair indicator of Garret Wang's talent (or lack of same.)
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah... I think you're talking out your ass again Solka. There's some supposition that Garret kept his job because of making the 50 beautiful people list but the only reason Harry was marked for death was because they did nothing with his character.

Even then it's hard to say that Harry is a special case here. Tuvok, Chakotay, Neelix, none of them changed from the start to the end of the show.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tyyr wrote:Yeah... I think you're talking out your ass again Solka. There's some supposition that Garret kept his job because of making the 50 beautiful people list but the only reason Harry was marked for death was because they did nothing with his character.

Even then it's hard to say that Harry is a special case here. Tuvok, Chakotay, Neelix, none of them changed from the start to the end of the show.
But wasn't Harry the character supposed to die after/during Scorpion, but they then decided to keep him on after Garret made it to the most 50 beautiful people list?

I sorry, but Wang's acting just never really made it for me. Even in stories where he was the focus, he just always seemed so... ... bland. Blalock stirred more emotions out of me with her acting than him.

I do admit the (very^10) poor writing of his character probably didn't helped in the bit. Did he ever had a tragic/poignant story while he didn't started getting angsty?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

SFDebris talks about the "dumping Harry" thing in one of his vids,a nd according to him people have openly admitted now that yes, Harry was supposed to exit in Scorpion. Originally the whole 8472 infection was going to kill him. But then he made the list of the 50 most beautiful people in some magazine, so they decided to keep him and ditch Kes instead.

Re his acting, Garret has claimed that a great deal of the fault lies with the show runners; the actors were told to act the way we see it up on the screen. I don't quite buy that myself; Robert Picardo and Jeri Ryan both routinely turned in good performances, Kate Mulgrew's character was lousy but her acting was never a problem. The only one as bad as Garret was Robert Beltran, and that was really because they screwed his character over to the point where the man clearly just gave up on the whole thing and decided to just turn up, say his lines, and go home again.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

So he got to keep his job because of his good looks?

Yay, thanks Wang, for breaking the glass floor!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:that was really because they screwed his character over to the point where the man clearly just gave up on the whole thing and decided to just turn up, say his lines, and go home again.
IDK, Graham - I've seen Robert Beltran in some other things, and I think there's a good chance that what we saw is really just the limit of his talent.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:that was really because they screwed his character over to the point where the man clearly just gave up on the whole thing and decided to just turn up, say his lines, and go home again.
IDK, Graham - I've seen Robert Beltran in some other things, and I think there's a good chance that what we saw is really just the limit of his talent.

I have to laugh at the way SFDebris keeps saying "And this week, Chakotay has ALWAYS been interested in.... <sound of rolling dice>... botany!"
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

The scariest part being how accurate he happens to be, it's a random thing that Chakotay has ALWAYS loved.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I found myself watching the one where Seven of Nine and he are suddenly in love the other day. Talk about bullshit appearing suddenly out of nothing...
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, I don't know where they did come from, I mean there was no development where they learned to love each other over time, they just suddenly wanted to get in each others pants.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Agreed, that just came completely out of no where. It really undermined any episode based off that whole concept.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah, it's fanfic-class 'shipping right there.