Halo3, ODST

Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Halo3, ODST

Post by Lighthawk »

I'm going to keep this short, because the single biggest feeling I have for this game is a great big Meh. Playing the ODSTs are amazingly like playing a Spartan. You're a one man killing machine slaughtering your way through helpless ranks of aliens. The game applies what I call "The Robin Issue" to the Halo universe. The Robin Issue is basically the following: Robin makes Batman less special. He does this by being a stupid kid who does what The Batman does, fight crime with no special powers. If some little punk can do it, it's not that special.

Flipping multi-ton vehicles back right-side up: Was cool when it was done by a genetically enhanced supersoldier in powered armor. When it's just some dude, it's not cool anymore, it's silly.

Engaging inhumanly strong aliens in melee and winning: Just plain stupid, getting smacked by a Brute should kill an ODST, never mind a Hunter.

Engaging Covenant Forces head on while outnumbered 10+ to 1 and winning: Shows how awesome a supersolider can be. When it's just a marine though, it makes the aliens look pathetic.

Ripping mounted guns off to lug with you...well I think you get the idea here.

Oh and those fancy shields the Spartans use...totally unnecessary, as regular human "stamina" can do the exact same job.

It's pretty much Halo3 with a different paint job. Same controls, same weapons, same vehicles...

There are only two cool things about this game: The opening drop pod insertion sequence, and the night vision enhancement mode.

If you loved H3, you'll love this. If like me you still think the 1st game was the best though, or if you just never liked a halo game, pass.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Halo3, ODST

Post by LaughingCheese »

I've played it briefly and didn't really like it that much.

The campaign is way too sparsely lit, hard to find anything in the city.

I think perhaps the devs wanted to make such a game but were probably afraid of altering the halo formula, tho it would have been much more interesting to see how regular humans handled the Covenant.

More rockets ? :mrgreen:

That's really the only thing that would save a marine from a couple of hunters or brutes.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

That or some more vehicles...though not the warthog. I hate the hog, if only because I so want to man the gun, but the AI of your teammates is so lackluster that letting them drive is more dangerous to you than the enemy is.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Strangely enough, while I adore Halo 3 and Reach, I hate ODST for many of the reasons stated above. Plus, the way the covenant appear to be dumbed down is entirely realistic in terms of fluff. The Covenant beam was meant to be able to kill a soldier instantly virtually anywhere it hit, for example.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Reliant121 wrote:Strangely enough, while I adore Halo 3 and Reach, I hate ODST for many of the reasons stated above. Plus, the way the covenant appear to be dumbed down is entirely realistic in terms of fluff. The Covenant beam was meant to be able to kill a soldier instantly virtually anywhere it hit, for example.
To be honest, I enjoy the live action and fluff more then the games. Halo:CE was epic, after that it all just went down hill.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu