British army not required to wear onions

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: British army not required to wear onions

Post by Mikey »

I think the crux of the misunderstanding here isn't why the English like making fun of the French (or the Scots, or the Americans, or the Germans...) but rather the fact that this particular joke was such a poor one. If it were funnier, nobody would question it. As it is, it's just a poor attempt at "piss-taking."

Of course, you guys seem to think that there's nothing funnier than a man in drag, so...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Mikey wrote:I think the crux of the misunderstanding here isn't why the English like making fun of the French (or the Scots, or the Americans, or the Germans...) but rather the fact that this particular joke was such a poor one. If it were funnier, nobody would question it. As it is, it's just a poor attempt at "piss-taking."

Of course, you guys seem to think that there's nothing funnier than a man in drag, so...
If ye be honest with me a second, I might have an alternate theory, which would be a very interesting point of English humour. It's merely a theory, so don't be too harsh.

Say somebody tell a joke that ain't funny, but that everybody knows it's a joke. So it's supposed to be funny. Well, some people would still laugh at it by reflex out of politeness or other reason.

Maybe this social effect evolved to a point that the fact of telling an unfunny joke but STILL having people knowing the joke is SUPPOSED to be funny, makes people laugh. So the bad quality of the joke becomes a joke in itself. Having a quick reference to the French makes it sure that every englishman in the room knows what is being said is supposed to be funny, even if it isn't.

Ya know, meta-humour.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Certainly a possible social evolution. I'm forced to ask, though, why not just tell funnier jokes?
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Mikey wrote:Certainly a possible social evolution. I'm forced to ask, though, why not just tell funnier jokes?
Different kind of humor. Diversification theory says that you are better varying the types of joke said during a show.

Or, you know, they just don't know any better.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Something about cheese or frogs would be obvious, but at least funnier than the onion bit.
as Bull offed Custer