What would you fix on the E-D?

The Next Generation

What would you change?

Add redundant weapon control systems
No votes
Give the holodeck a safe "off switch" located outside the door, to rescue crew in case of malfunction
30%
Place components that require maintainance in rooms instead of Jefferies tubes
No votes
Install dedicated computers to take over ship functions where possible, as opposed to relying on a single computer
3%
Link bridge consoles to a circuit breaker (no more exploding consloes!)
23%
Shrink the crew quarters substantially.
3%
Add two extra warp nacelles, six poorly scaled phaser cannons, and ten photon torpedo launchers
3%
Other (please specify)
13%
I would not suggest any changes.
No votes
Add diverse and redundant systems to prevent a warp core breach
28%

Total votes: 40
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

Bryan Moore wrote:
celeritas wrote:speaking of quarters, who vacuums all the carpet around that place? i don't see any 24th century roombas...
Would it really be needed? How dirty could things get on a starship?
well, they get dirty enough to warrant a baryon sweep every now and then...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Dust is mostly dead skin cells and such. So unless they have a way of stopping that in the future I dont see how they could not get dust.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

Teaos wrote:Dust is mostly dead skin cells and such. So unless they have a way of stopping that in the future I dont see how they could not get dust.
and speaking of dead skin cells, who does the laundry? do they have their own dry cleaning service or do they just replicate a new set of clothes every day?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I voted for the holodeck. It malfunctioned... and spawned a new life form.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Maybe they don't do laundry and just really smell and are just used to the smell. Like people who live near a dump.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

Teaos wrote:Maybe they don't do laundry and just really smell and are just used to the smell. Like people who live near a dump.
hm, perhaps that would be the reason why there are a lack of lavatories aboard their spacecraft...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Am I the only one who's surprised by the amount of people who voted to fix the holodeck?
I would have thought fixing the warp core would get more votes...
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I voted holodeck, just because the stupid "uh oh, bad holodeck" episodes got old after a few.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Probably becuase people get sick of seeing holodeck episodes. They want it fixed so they dont have to sit through another one.

Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Crushproof »

celeritas wrote:
Teaos wrote:Maybe they don't do laundry and just really smell and are just used to the smell. Like people who live near a dump.
hm, perhaps that would be the reason why there are a lack of lavatories aboard their spacecraft...
The Enterprise-D blueprints show a small bathroom just off the bridge. There's a door next to the one that leads to the Observation lounge. There is also canonical mention of lavatories in an episode of Voyager, when a load of ship systems go down and I think neelix says there's only 2 working lavatoris on this deck, or something.
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Crushproof wrote:
celeritas wrote:
The Enterprise-D blueprints show a small bathroom just off the bridge. There's a door next to the one that leads to the Observation lounge. There is also canonical mention of lavatories in an episode of Voyager, when a load of ship systems go down and I think neelix says there's only 2 working lavatoris on this deck, or something.
I think I recall seeing on either the 25th aniversary documentary or the hour special that aired a week before TNG's finale that showed on the computer map of engineering a bathroom near the warp core (along with a 20 foot mouse that lived in the shuttle bay, and other goofy things)
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Crushproof wrote:
celeritas wrote: hm, perhaps that would be the reason why there are a lack of lavatories aboard their spacecraft...
I think I recall seeing on either the 25th aniversary documentary or the hour special that aired a week before TNG's finale that showed on the computer map of engineering a bathroom near the warp core (along with a 20 foot mouse that lived in the shuttle bay, and other goofy things)
yeah i recall that too -- the one in the engineering map is the only lavatory depicted on the whole ship, i believe...
The Wormhole
Ensign
Ensign

Post by The Wormhole »

I remember that. It was a TNG special that aired to promote the finale, hosted by Jonathan Frakes. He points to the bathroom being in the stardrive section. Which has always made me wonder, does that mean the saucer has no bathroom? That would suck during a saucer seperation.
Putting the manatee back in humanity.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I suppose they could just go in a bucket and beam it out side. Very high tech.

Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Teaos wrote:I suppose they could just go in a bucket and beam it out side. Very high tech.
In a mildly intoxicated coversation with my Trekkie roomate a few years back, I distinctly remember joking how wonderful it would be to urinate into a live transporter feed and beam it above Wesley's head :twisted: