My New Website

Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

My New Website

Post by Varthikes »

You guys remember my Ultimate Timeline in the Writer's Forum. I decided to create a website for it. It's my first website ever, so it's more of an experiment. A learning process.

What do you all think?

It's not done yet, of course.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: My New Website

Post by Nickswitz »

One suggestion I would make if possible, I don't know how possible it is, is to have to key follow down the page with the scrolling, I have seen other site that do this, I don't know the limitations of this one though.

The reason I suggest this is because I can't actually remember what colors go to what, and it ends up confusing and frustrating me trying to remember what goes where, and who is who, especially since I am not fully familiar with all the series on the timeline, and even the ones I do know I can barely remember.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think it looks great, though a travelling legend would help, as Nick said. Maybe Graham and Ian would let you post a link?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

Yeah, a traveling legend would be a good idea. I'm looking into it now.

It looks like I need to have Java Script, which the host doesn't seem to support at the moment.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Varthikes wrote:You guys remember my Ultimate Timeline in the Writer's Forum. I decided to create a website for it. It's my first website ever, so it's more of an experiment. A learning process.

What do you all think?

Well for one thing you've fallen into the same trap as a lot of new sites. You think you know better than the viewer what window width they should be using to view your site. I find that utterly arrogant and a complete waste of my 24 inch screen. Please change the design to fill the window it's shown in. It's not difficult to do. Other than that the content seems fine, except of cause your side navbar takes up even more of the space you are using.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Varthikes wrote:Yeah, a traveling legend would be a good idea. I'm looking into it now.

It looks like I need to have Java Script, which the host doesn't seem to support at the moment.
No, you can simply use CSS. Specify a div with a fixed position.
email, ergo spam
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

IanKennedy wrote:
Varthikes wrote:You guys remember my Ultimate Timeline in the Writer's Forum. I decided to create a website for it. It's my first website ever, so it's more of an experiment. A learning process.

What do you all think?

Well for one thing you've fallen into the same trap as a lot of new sites. You think you know better than the viewer what window width they should be using to view your site. I find that utterly arrogant and a complete waste of my 24 inch screen. Please change the design to fill the window it's shown in. It's not difficult to do. Other than that the content seems fine, except of cause your side navbar takes up even more of the space you are using.
Yeah, didn't notice that until I looked at it on my 22" screen and it does look very cheap.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

IanKennedy wrote:

What do you all think?

I assure you, that wasn't intentional. But I will work on it. Like I said, I'm new at this.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Varthikes wrote:I assure you, that wasn't intentional. But I will work on it. Like I said, I'm new at this.
Look on the bright side. If that's the only complaint an experienced professional website designer can come up with then you're doing very well, especially for a first attempt.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

I'm working with a template, so all I really had to do was the content.

And, I may be somewhat limited in what I can do with Webs, unless I go with premium. But, I can't really afford that at the moment.

I tried making the Color Key a static menu, but it doesn't seem to want to move with the scroll.