Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I was just thinking about this, since there is the big giant round thing before the thread that tells you that there is new posts in a certain thread, would it be possible to make that round thing the button as opposed to the little tiny icon that shows up, I just think it would make it look a lot cleaner as you would have less little random things hanging around. I've never seen any other forum do anything like this, so I don't know if it's even possible, but I think it would look nicer overall.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Re: New posts in thread

Post by Lighthawk »

I like the idea, if it's possible. It'd also be nice because that little dot we have now is a pain in the ass to hit on my Itouch unless I zoom in several times.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Lighthawk wrote:I like the idea, if it's possible. It'd also be nice because that little dot we have now is a pain in the ass to hit on my Itouch unless I zoom in several times.
Have you tried using the mobile version of the forum?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

OK, I like the idea. Looking at it it was difficult as the round badge was a background image and so couldn't have a link attached to it. That said I've reworked it to use a proper image and added the link. See what you think.
email, ergo spam
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I love it, makes it a lot easier, and without the little icon it will look a lot cleaner IMO.

Thanks again Ian for such great management of the forum.
The world ended

IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

OK, a number of options here:

- You can now click the red dot or the little icon. Do we still need the little icon?
- You can only click the red dot when it's a red dot. If the topic is not red it can't be clicked (much as the little icon doesn't display), should it be clickable at other times and if yes what should it do?
- I've only made the topic icons clickable. Should the forum list icons be clickable too?
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Lighthawk wrote:I like the idea, if it's possible. It'd also be nice because that little dot we have now is a pain in the ass to hit on my Itouch unless I zoom in several times.
There's a mobile version of the forum that works a lot better than the main one. You need to go to the main site and switch to mobile mode (there's a link near the top left of the screen). Once clicked you can use the forum link from the main menu. Once you've set it up this way it will stay that way for that device. It does not affect other machines that you may use to access the forum. Each machine has it's own settings. It works much much better than the standard version on iPhone or iPod (and other mobile devices too). It you decide you don't like it there's a link at the bottom of the main menu that will take to back to the standard site.
email, ergo spam
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

IanKennedy wrote:OK, a number of options here:

- You can now click the red dot or the little icon. Do we still need the little icon?
- You can only click the red dot when it's a red dot. If the topic is not red it can't be clicked (much as the little icon doesn't display), should it be clickable at other times and if yes what should it do?
- I've only made the topic icons clickable. Should the forum list icons be clickable too?
I think that the icon should go, just for beauty's sake
I think that the red dot should only be clickable, not the other ones really, just because I don't see any real reason to have any other things. I mean if you wanted it to you could make it go to the first page of the thread much like clicking the name, or make it go to the last post of the thread, much like the icon on the other end of the thread list. I actually would like it to go to the last post read, it would just make it slightly easier for me at least, IDK about anyone else.
And for the last thing I think it's really just an executive choice, I don't see any reason, it could make it much easier to click on it, but I don't see any problem with it.
The world ended

IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I can see it would look better but would removing it make people think that the feature had gone, rather than moved. I've just labeled the link with a message (as the little icon has), which may suffice to stop this problem.
email, ergo spam
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Possibly, I'm currently thinking form over function really, I would however like the implementation of the grey ones going to the last viewed post. That would be nice IMO so that when you want to post something you can click right there instead of going to the end of it, it's not a lot of movement that has to be done, but it's an annoying step to have to do.
The world ended

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think the little icon that was there originally could be removed. It would look better aestheticaly.
IanKennedy wrote:I can see it would look better but would removing it make people think that the feature had gone, rather than moved. I've just labeled the link with a message (as the little icon has), which may suffice to stop this problem.
We could always just make this thread a Global Annoucement for a week or so and retitle it to let people know what's going o0n.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

IanKennedy wrote:OK, a number of options here:

I don't think so. As SG said, changing it after an announcement has been up for a week or so would give everyone fair notice.
You could make a non-red dot clickable to the last post in a thread, but I don't think it's necessary.
That wouldn't be necessary, as the forum titles don't have the separate dot icons and page icons.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer