The Book of Eli

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

The Book of Eli

Post by Tyyr »

Has anyone else seen it? I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. The most visually striking aspect of the film was the way any outdoors scene was a mix of painfully bright white dust and sands versus nearly pitch black shadows and dress.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: The Book of Eli

Post by Mikey »

I haven't seen it, but I did notice that stark use of chiaroscuro in the trailers. It seemd like it might have been overone to the point of making the cinematography the focus rather than the story... but it certainly has a cast that would be able to cut through that.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I didn't think it was that distracting. Like Three Kings it's something that was used to help tell the story. In this case how desolate the world was, it's stark, black and white. Little color, little definition, it adds to how bleak the outlook is. It sets the mood. This world is on the brink of evaporating away. There's nothing. There's no hope, it's dead. Which helps to set up the book as being even more important. Any hope, any light in this world is a welcome respite from the gut wrenching awfulness of it all.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I saw it in Theaters, I thought it was pretty good. Not phenomenal, but definitely worth the money I paid to see it.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

So, it's out on DVD I take it?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Saw it, loved it... hoping for more. They certainly left it open at the end.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tsukiyumi wrote:So, it's out on DVD I take it?

Somehow, somewhere. :pirate:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Saw it when it came out originally. Didn't really like it that much. I'm not overly keen on post apocalyptic stuff, they tend to be very samey. This didn't really tell you what had happened so you where left wondering what the situation was. They talk of areas that where difficult to survive in but then go and wander straight through them without issue. As for the surprise ending, it wasn't. All in all, not that great.
email, ergo spam
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Saw it, let me put it his way I ain't gonna piss off eli if he has machete in his hands :)
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Mikey wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:So, it's out on DVD I take it?
Somehow, somewhere. :pirate:
Yeah it is, though Redbox and Netflix don't have it because the studio has decided to fight a futile battle to try and prop up video outlets like Blockbuster. I caved, but still got it at one of Blockbuster's dollar rental kiosks.
IanKennedy wrote:This didn't really tell you what had happened so you where left wondering what the situation was.
I don't think it mattered to the story at all. It's like the show "After Humans". What happened doesn't really matter. It plays no real role in the plot so it'd be exposition without point. Rather than waste time on something of no consequence to the plot they just let it go. From the crater you see in one overhead shot its tempting to say nuclear war, but in post apocalyptic stuff its always nuclear war. Personally from the description of the "sky burning" I'd say gamma ray burst but you never know.
Deepcrush wrote:Saw it, loved it... hoping for more. They certainly left it open at the end.
I doubt it. Eli is dead, the book's delivered, and I just don't see a second story really leaping out at me.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tyyr wrote:I doubt it. Eli is dead, the book's delivered, and I just don't see a second story really leaping out at me.
I wasn't talking about Eli but Solara. I liked her characters gradual change from limp little girl to girl who questions then out of no where to tough survivor. It was also neat seeing the lead die while leaving hope around in form of a new lead. Someone to take over his role in life. To carry a message of hope across the wastelands.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Tyyr wrote:I don't think it mattered to the story at all. It's like the show "After Humans". What happened doesn't really matter. It plays no real role in the plot so it'd be exposition without point. Rather than waste time on something of no consequence to the plot they just let it go. From the crater you see in one overhead shot its tempting to say nuclear war, but in post apocalyptic stuff its always nuclear war. Personally from the description of the "sky burning" I'd say gamma ray burst but you never know.
It matters a lot when they make a point of saying that there are areas you just can't go, and then only a few moments later go there and nothing happens. If they're going to say there are no go areas then you need to know what the reason for the no go is so you can see if it's making a difference.
email, ergo spam