Most Unrealistic movie

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Most Unrealistic movie

Post by Lighthawk »

This is for those movies where the plot seems to require you to pretend that human beings and/or reality work in an entirely different and unbelievable way than they do in real life. This isn't for slapstick silly comedies or those mind fuck reality twisters, but for movies where people or things act in a way that defies belief, and the audience is suppose to take it seriously and consider it realistic despite that, that it really could happen.

For me it's Demolition Man. The idea of society so abandoning violence that a single cryofrozen prisoner escaping renders an entire city unable to do anything but flounder uselessly until they thaw out an "old world" cop just makes my sense of disbelief want to stand up and scream "horse shit!". Made all the worse by the movie only being set 36 years in the future. So there would still be people alive from when violence was a common trait. It was painful, literally painful, to watch the future LAPD, arguably some of the most badass cops of the modern day, be shown to be so insanely pacifist that they had read out of an instructional manual how to arrest an uncooperative person. You've really hit rock bottom when the early TNG era security is better at it's job than you.

Aside from that, just the general idiocy of the future world. Anything unhealthy is illegal? No junk food? No actual sex? The hell that'd ever work short of introducing massive amounts of mood altering drugs into the water supply. Oh and of course, every resteruant is now called Taco Bell, because after the massive earthquake that leveled most of LA, it was the only resteruant chain to survive somehow.

Just could not accept the phoney ass utopia the movie tried to protray.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Most Unrealistic movie

Post by BigJKU316 »

For movies that were just not trying to be totally absurd I would nominate Independence Day as just having a TON of strange technology type things that just drove me nuts.

1. The computer virus thing....I won't even get into details, everyone knows this was stupid.

2. The way the aliens went about destroying cities. I mean yes, it was sort of cool I guess...but my lord that was really inefficient, slow and resource intensive. Wouldn't it be simpler to just do it from orbit with bombs? And a lot safer? Who came up with this plan? Why are you still blowing cities apart when no one is left in them like they were getting ready to do at Houston?

3. And this is a personal pet peeve of mine. What was with the loadout on the fighters pretty much throughout the whole movie? You are shooting an AMRAAM at something the size of several hundred aircraft carriers? You might as well lob spit balls at the thing. Why not use cruise missiles, or free fall penetrating bombs or how about once you take the shields down you use the nuke again over the empty desert before it gets to your hiding place?
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

We have an entire list of bad depiction of processes.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... oodScience
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm going to have to side with Independance Day as well.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

How about Armageddon?
1. gravity on an asteroid.
2. Blowing said asteroid, which is the size of TEXAS up using a nuke
3. Training idiots from a drill platform to be astronauts instead of the otehr way round.
4. Gravity on mir by rotating the bloody thing (they could've left that out)
5. A MINIGUN on an expedition vehicle
6. Handguns in a space shuttle
7. Plenty more, go figure.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/F ... Armageddon
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Well, I've got two titles for my nomination - same principle, different theme:
Cool World and Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Earthstorm. It's horrible

I can't even list everything that was wrong.

It's one of those movies it's so bad it's good.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Mikey wrote:Well, I've got two titles for my nomination - same principle, different theme:
Cool World and Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
I actually liked both of those movies... for pretty much the same reason.

Independence Day is bad. They can hardly go a single scene without EPICLY fucking something up.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:I actually liked both of those movies... for pretty much the same reason.
I can't imagine what that reason could be... *ahem*

I liked 'em too, I just think they fit the category better than anything else.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

BigJKU316 wrote:For movies that were just not trying to be totally absurd I would nominate Independence Day as just having a TON of strange technology type things that just drove me nuts.

1. The computer virus thing....I won't even get into details, everyone knows this was stupid.

2. The way the aliens went about destroying cities. I mean yes, it was sort of cool I guess...but my lord that was really inefficient, slow and resource intensive. Wouldn't it be simpler to just do it from orbit with bombs? And a lot safer? Who came up with this plan? Why are you still blowing cities apart when no one is left in them like they were getting ready to do at Houston?

3. And this is a personal pet peeve of mine. What was with the loadout on the fighters pretty much throughout the whole movie? You are shooting an AMRAAM at something the size of several hundred aircraft carriers? You might as well lob spit balls at the thing. Why not use cruise missiles, or free fall penetrating bombs or how about once you take the shields down you use the nuke again over the empty desert before it gets to your hiding place?

I agree with 1 and 3.

The virus makes no sense because of the simple fact that a 1996 Apple computer sucks.

Never made sense why ther were trying to destroy a 15 mile wide ship with missiles.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

BigJKU316 wrote:For movies that were just not trying to be totally absurd I would nominate Independence Day as just having a TON of strange technology type things that just drove me nuts.

Sci fi weapons often suck compared to real ones. Even a single 500 foot long Trident submarine can rain down almost 200 nuclear warheads on dozens of different targets simultaneously, across millions of square miles. In contrast a fifteen MILE wide alien saucer can blow up one city at a time, and seemingly takes at least a day or two to move on to the next one.

I vote the Core as most unrealistic movie.

1) The Core cannot simply 'stop'. Ask yourself where the kinetic energy went! The core isn't a homogenous body, it's like an ocean with currents going in all different directions, and only the fact that there's an overall net rotation creates a magnetic field. When the field does vanish and reverse, it's because those currents randomise and then settle with the net effect in the opposite direction. If they'd explained this it would make the movie far more plausible, and even make their solution far more plausible as all they'd have to do is upset the balance of the currents rather than restart the whole core. But they couldn't be bothered.

2) Unobtanium. A material that gets stronger the more you heat/squeeze it. Nonsense.

3) Bizzarely, the cabin is upright when the mole machine is laid out flat. But for most of the movie the mole is diving straight down, nose first... and the cabins are STILL flat.

4) A hole in the magnetic field lets microwaves in, frying the Golden Gate bridge. First, microwaves aren't charged particles, and are thus unaffected by the Earth's magnetic field. Second, the sun isn't anything remotely close to being powerful enough to melt kilotons of steel in seconds.

5) A small niggle, but one that grates on me. The hero is a teacher, and at one point he tells his class that if they work with him on this project "I'll sign off on your graduation thesis without reading it." Excuse me? This man is a bad, bad teacher.

6) They keep the magnetic field's problems secret. Um... anybody in the world who uses a compass should see something happening. There would be literally MILLIONS of people reporting oddities, most of them specifically with the magnetic field. The idea that anybody could keep this secret for even a day is laughable.

7) Incidentally, Earth's magnetic field HAS shut down, at least mostly, regularly throughout it's life. Obviously none of these occasions wiped out life on Earth, not has any ever been linked to a mass extinction event. I'm not saying it might not be bad - we might lose all electronics for example - but it would not be the end of Humanity by any stretch of the imagination.

8) I guess it's not impossible to build a 200 Megaton bomb that's a few feet long... but the biggest bomb ever actually built was rated at around 60 Megatons. This is it :

And anyway, given the overall rotational energy of the core, you'd need hundreds of 200 Megaton bombs, not five.

9) Dropping the ship into water is pointless. The difference between the bottom of the ocean and the land is less than ten miles of rock. Since the ship has to penetrate thousands of miles of rock, why go to all that trouble to avoid the first ten?

10) A giant geode? Really? The point is made that only unobtanium can possibly resist these pressures and temperatures. Is the giant geode made of unobtanium? If not, why doesn't it collapse? For that matter, the air pressure inside seems normal - yet if so, material should spurt through the hole them made going into it like a rocket engine firing, rather than just dribbling in.

11) Similarly, the ship hits a giant diamond and springs a leak. Material should spurt through that hole at an incredible rate. It doesn't.

And so on, and so on, and so on.....
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I vote the Core as most unrealistic movie.
I agree 100%
Nothing could save this movie from absurdity.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, But I still vote Earthstorm as most unrealistic.

I have not seen it in a while though, I'll look around for it and if I find it I'll let you all know why it's the worst...

However, I think the Core does make it close.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Armageddon isn't too bad since it clearly isn't taking itself seriously.