Favorite twist?

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Favorite twist?

Post by Tyyr »

Can you elaborate on that? I know there was some backlash after Passion of the Christ but I never really got why that would result in so many hurt feelings.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:Can you elaborate on that? I know there was some backlash after Passion of the Christ but I never really got why that would result in so many hurt feelings.
Are you kidding? Passion of the Christ was held up by some of the more pit-bull-ish Jewish spin groups, but I saw it and didn't think it was any more anti-Semitic than the actual New Testament. Listen to the Catholic Stations of the Cross sometime - that's some real, honest, ol'-fashioned Jew-hating (at least, the old version of the liturgy - you know, the one which Benedict wants to reinstate.)

No the issue with Mel was more due to the time he was arrested for a DUI in California in 2006 and launched into an anti-Semitic tirade, including assigning blame to the Jewish people for all the wars of the world. His use of the term "sugar tits" toward a female sergeant is unconfirmed, however.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Mikey wrote:Are you kidding? Passion of the Christ was held up by some of the more pit-bull-ish Jewish spin groups, but I saw it and didn't think it was any more anti-Semitic than the actual New Testament. Listen to the Catholic Stations of the Cross sometime - that's some real, honest, ol'-fashioned Jew-hating (at least, the old version of the liturgy - you know, the one which Benedict wants to reinstate.)
That was my take on it, that it was pretty much the New Testament account verbatim and by that account the people who were cheering for his crucifixion were Jews. Then again Jesus was a Jew as well, amazing how many people forget that, and it was less killing him because they were Jews than it was a mob wanting the guy who was different gotten rid of and they just happened to be Jews.
No the issue with Mel was more due to the time he was arrested for a DUI in California in 2006 and launched into an anti-Semitic tirade, including assigning blame to the Jewish people for all the wars of the world. His use of the term "sugar tits" toward a female sergeant is unconfirmed, however.
Ok, now that does make more sense.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:That was my take on it, that it was pretty much the New Testament account verbatim and by that account the people who were cheering for his crucifixion were Jews. Then again Jesus was a Jew as well, amazing how many people forget that, and it was less killing him because they were Jews than it was a mob wanting the guy who was different gotten rid of and they just happened to be Jews.
From my limited understanding of the New Testament, it wasn't that the general population wanted Barrabas spared so much, as they believed Jesus to be guilty of blaspheming and violating the Ten Commandments. Going around calling yourself divine isn't easy to stomach for the persecuted people of the very first monotheism in the world.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:From my limited understanding of the New Testament, it wasn't that the general population wanted Barrabas spared so much, as they believed Jesus to be guilty of blaspheming and violating the Ten Commandments. Going around calling yourself divine isn't easy to stomach for the persecuted people of the very first monotheism in the world.
On top of that you also had the church hierarchy stirring them up, various traders upset at his upending of tables a few days earlier, and the Romans seeing this joker waltzing into town and inciting adoration and hatred in equal measure - not the sort of thing you want when the province was something of a tinderbox to start with, IIRC.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

My favorite twist was when I woke up after seeing SW Episode III to realize all three prequel films were horrible nightmares and that George Lucas actually has no plans to go back and write those films.

What's that you say? They actually happened!?!?

Shit.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Goldeneye
Alec Trevelyan coming back from the dead as the main villain. Not exactly sure how Alec faked his death, Orimov offed one of his own soldiers with the same gun he used to 'kill' Alec. Still, having him reappear was a nice twist, and he was one of the best villains of the Bond films.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I was just thinking, does the reveal of the identity of the Romulans count as a twist?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Probably - a pretty good one at that.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:
Tyyr wrote:No, Sixth Sense was actually a very good movie. The problem is Shamalamadingdong felt he kept having to have a "twist" at some point to match Sixth Sense's. Unfortunately a combination of not doing it quite as well as SS and the audience looking for it kind of ruined the whole bit.

Are you saying that The Sixth Sense was the way it was because it was trying to match The Sixth Sense, or are you saying that's why the rest of his movies were so annoying?

Anyway, it wasn't very good. The "twist" was as subtle as being run over by a semi-rig, and that Osment kid ranks, in the list of great child actors, about equivalent to potted plants.
I still say that's because you knew there was a twist there in the first place, as you have admitted previously and yet you still feel the need to repeat the statement about it being obvious. I've never met anyone who saw it and didn't know before seeing it that there was a twist who then saw it coming. The ability to spot a twist coming when you know it's there is not very impressive.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I believe I said - and maintain - that I knew there was a twist but not what it was. Either way, my opinion of the movie remains, and I don't count it as invalid. Whatever colors my opinion doesn't make it less of my opinion. That's part of what "opinion" means. Further, I think I should feel free to express my opinion even if you don't like the way in which it was derived. My overall opinion of the film is further colored by the poor performance of the Osment kid as well as that of Willis - which is odd, because Shyalaman got (in my opinion) a good performance from him in Unbreakable.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I always liked the first Saw movie. Every time I watch those movies for the first time I am always trying to figure out how it will work out. Always end up in failure.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"