Starship Pics

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Starship Pics

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:If they DID use that model, they likely would have done something else stupid, like make that ring a "warp ring" ala the Jedi starfighters "hyperdrive ring".

Damn fine pic, by the way.
I believe that actually is how the Vulcan ships work -- or at least how they were depicted. Instead of nacelles they use rings. I actually think it would've made a small bit of sense to use this design. It makes sense to me that, in order to get us into space faster, some scientist/engineer somewhere would try to copy the Vulcan design as close as he can.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

shran wrote:Not quite. As you can see, the windows are about man-sized. The ships size would have severely limitated the amount of story that could be told, because it aso necessitates a small crew. Ergo, less extras to kill. Also, the same shape was used in a concept version of the TOS Enterprise.
Well, IMO, less redshirts might have made the writers work a little harder. Firefly pulled off the small crew space drama formula about 100 times better than Enterprise.

Even if they did lose crew, they could've (conveniently) picked up new ones along the way.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Mark wrote:If they DID use that model, they likely would have done something else stupid, like make that ring a "warp ring" ala the Jedi starfighters "hyperdrive ring".

Damn fine pic, by the way.
I believe that actually is how the Vulcan ships work -- or at least how they were depicted. Instead of nacelles they use rings. I actually think it would've made a small bit of sense to use this design. It makes sense to me that, in order to get us into space faster, some scientist/engineer somewhere would try to copy the Vulcan design as close as he can.
I think Mark meant a detachable warp drive, a la SW.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

One of the notable things about Enterprise was that early on, they were VERY reluctant to kill crewmen. I believe we were actually into season 3 before we had a confirmed death of an Enterprise crewmember. So a small crew would probably be quite sustainable in that series.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:That's just plain awesome. Why the hell didn't they use something like that for Enterprise?

Oh, right. Greedy idiots.
It's a lovely pic... but I always hated the design.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Maybe I just like it because it's different.

I always like things that are "off" a bit. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

i like different things, too. ;) Just never fancied this one.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

These are my favorite Trek wallpapers ever. They were made by Jason Lee using his subtly redesigned TOS Enterprise.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Lazar wrote:These are my favorite Trek wallpapers ever. They were made by Jason Lee using his subtly redesigned TOS Enterprise.
I agree, this is the best TOS Enterprise I know of. That's how she should have looked in the remastered edition imho and is a great example at how to add detail without really changing the design.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

The updated NX-class Season 5 refit by Doug Drexler.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Looks a bit like an Ambassador class, at least the secondary hull imho. Overrall not bad but I dont like the nacelle support struts, keeping the old ones and adding new ones seems redundant.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Actually it makes perfect sense.

Removing the old ones would require a lot of time and effort to reroute everything that used to run through them. Additionally you'd have to take a long look at the structural components of the ship and do a lot of mods to handle the altered loads. However, doing it this way, leaving the old and then just tying that portion into the new secondary hull allows you to minimize reroutes of existing connections and services while providing additional support for the new secondary hull. Unless there's some very good reason for removing the struts it just won't be done.

Oh, and the existing struts also house the impulse engines if I recall. Yet another good reason to just leave them as they are.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Tyyr wrote: Oh, and the existing struts also house the impulse engines if I recall. Yet another good reason to just leave them as they are.
Exactly, adding a rather huge secondary hull would probably throw the whole center of mass offbalance, so I would imagine you would need to relocate the impulse engines either way. Also, as far as refits go it seems really a huge one. Adding approx. a third - if not more - additional ship to it seems to be even a bigger refit than that of the enil in some ways.

Well, no matter, it does look better than the old NX, yet somehow I would be interested how they would have introduced this huge refit eg the reason for the additional hull and why they didn't just build a new one.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Atekimogus wrote:Adding approx. a third - if not more - additional ship to it seems to be even a bigger refit than that of the enil in some ways.
Not even close. While the refit would be a tremendously difficult feat of engineering, it doesn't even approach the disassembly and reassembly of the E-nil.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Well bigger in the sense that, although the e-nil surley was more work, at least nothing major changed in the basic design and balance of the ship.

Sticking a huge secondary hull to a ship which was probably not designed for it seems more challenging than pimping the enil :)