Total votes: 17
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Is Honking Your Horn Free Speech?

Post by Nutso »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsk8uDCBlIo

The case:
It's a case that has made its way from a Snohomish County chicken coop all the way to the state Supreme Court. The issue: Is honking your horn free speech?

In 2006, Helen Immelt was unhappy with a neighbor's complaints about her chickens in their Monroe neighborhood so she expressed her displeasure by blasting her car horn outside of his house at 6 a.m. one Saturday.

When she refused a deputy's order to stop, Immelt was charged with a noise violation and ultimately sentenced to 10 days in jail. She appealed that conviction, arguing the noise ordinance violates her right to free speech. She lost that appeal, but refused to be silenced.

Immelt got an attorney, who will now argue her case before the state Supreme Court. She believes a horn honk can express many things -- anger, frustration, even support for the troops when driving past a roadside rally. Prosecutors, however, contend she was simply being a nuisance and was harassing her neighbor.

State law prohibits horn honking except to ensure safe operation of the vehicle.
http://www.king5.com/news/local/Is-horn ... 91914.html

I'd really like to know how you guys feel about this.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Is Honking Your Horn Free Speech?

Post by Mikey »

I think she's an absolute idiot, not to mention a complete asshole, who's trying to use a fake "free speech issue" to cover the fact that she is in fact such an idiot and asshole. Free speech was never meant to allow someone to abrogate someone else's rights, nor was it intended to defend people who break laws and then decide that they don't want to pay the piper.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So let me get this straight. A neighbour complains about her chickens for some reason, and she decides to start harrassing him via her car horn? Yeah, she can go to hell. I don't see how this is a free speech issue at all.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

This isn't freedom of speech, it's freedom to be a bitch. There's no protected speech going on here any more than if her neighbor opened up with a fog horn the next morning. It's open and shut.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Her use of the horn is just a public nuisance.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with the majority here, she's not using freedom of speech, she's using her car as a nuisance, not as freedom of speech, she's not saying anything with it, she's just being loud.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Wow, I think this is the most one sided debate I've seen here. Why, I can't even really call it a debate, just a bunch of guys agreeing with each other. *Agrees away*
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Not much to debate. Some woman decides to be an arse, then starts whinging about how it's her right to be an arse once the person she's harrassing calls the police.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

She's an arse, for sure. Not free speech.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

She wants to beep her horn, fine then, let her. Stuff her and her car in a Box Trailer and let her have at it. Once she's tired of her ears, eyes and nose bleeding from the volume. She'll call it quits.

There's your free speech bitch.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

When you are in a car you're a potential danger to other road users. The horn is there like the indicators, for communicating with other drivers in specific ways. So no, it's nothing to do with free speech.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Well, this is one-sided to the nth degree. Good job everyone.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Victory! We have Victory! *cookie*
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

I though this was going to be about the World Cup horns, not some crazy chick with a beef about a neighbor...

...and I agree she has the right to honk her horn, but not to be a public nuisance...

... and I have enough of the vuvu-whatevers... have to watch the games on mute by halftime...
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I thought my new TV had something wrong with it when I first heard those fucking horns. It sounds like a swarm of bees.