District 9

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: District 9

Post by Aaron »

McAvoy wrote:Oh. When do they say it's 2003? I got the pression they landed in 2009 and it was 2029.
IIRC they show them landing in 1983 and then it's commented that they have been there for 20 years shortly after.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I know I'm like seriously necroing this thread, but someone showed me some clips of this movie and so I really wanted to see it, and after seeing it, it really is excellent, and the couple plot holes don't bother me really, since it's overall a good movie.

I also wasn't sure of how it was going to end after all of it, I kept saying please don't let that stupid SOB just shoot the man. But yeah, good movie, definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

District 9 came up in a recent conversation about Avatar. Someone said that you can't have great visuals and a great story in the same movie. At which point I retorted, "District 9."
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, everything looked awesome, even the begining of it in tv camera style looked good. And the story was good, plus I felt bad for both sides in a way, the humans although being horrible and crappy people they were trying to protect the people (I know what they did was stupid and wrong, but they did it to help...) The Aliens, well, they weren't bad, just they weren't humans, they aren't exactly used to us, so they get crapped on because they're different from us...

So overall I thought it was a great movie.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

To be perfectly honest, I think it would have made Avatar far better if the Na'vi had been a bunch of clearly inhuman creatures like the ones from District 9. At least then people'd be forced to like the Na'vi based on who they are, rather than just having a giant bioluminescent sign saying "They're the good guys!".

And we'd probably have a lot less people claiming to be reincarnated Na'vi, which is always a plus in my books.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"