DITL Battles: Rules (Second Edition)

Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: DITL Battles: Rules (Second Edition)

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Tractor Beams:

Tractor Beams may be used to immobilize an unshielded enemy ship or a flight of support craft. Only 1 Tractor Beam may be used at any one time. In order to lock a tractor beam on a target on must roll a 9 on a 2D6 with modifiers. The Tractor Beam remains until either a) the emitter is destroyed b) the captain shuts it off c) the ship is successfully able to escape.

A ship may escape from a tractor beam with the roll of a 10 on a 2D6 with modifiers.

Tractor Beam Modifiers:
Targeting support craft: +1
-1 for every 100,000 km between ships
-2 if ships are moving in opposite directions
-1 if ships are moving 90* relative to each other

Escape Modifiers:
Faster ship +1
Size difference gives a + or 1- for every 500,000 tons
For every turn the tractor beam is locked on +1/3 (so every 3 turns it's locked on +1 bonus is awarded)
Last edited by Lt. Staplic on Mon May 03, 2010 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Transporters/Bording Parties:

In order to Transport Bording Parties a ship must have at least 1 functioning transporter. To successfully beam aboard a Bording party the roll of at least a 6 is needed on a 2D6 with modifiers. Bording Parties can be sent during the tac phase only. 1 Bording Party may be sent per active transporter per turn with a max of 10 Bording Parties active at 1 time.

Transporter Modifiers:
Full Shields: -6
75% Shields: -5
50% Shields: -3
25% Shields: -1
Shields Down: +1
Distance: -1 for every 100,000km

Once the Bording Party is aboard:

Each Bording Party starts with 10 people. At the end of every tac phase (excluding the phase the BP was beamed aboard) the defending ship rolls a D6-5 with modifiers. This roll decides how many of the Bording Party are killed that turn. When the Party has 0 members, that party can no longer attack parts of the ship. The defending ship can then roll a D6 to determine how many affected areas they can take back (in reverse order they were taken in).

If there are surviving Party members then roll a 2D6 with modifiers to take control of a part of the ship if they get at least an 8. If one ships parties are able to take over all essential ship areas that ship is no longer able to fight. Each turn the BP has surviving members they must decide which section of the ship to target: Bridge; Main Engineering; Armory; Security; Shuttle Bays; Corridors. Each section must be taken to take the ship.

Defenders Modifiers:
+1 per turn the party is on board

BP Modifiers:
+1 each turn BP has survivors
Corridores -1
Shuttle Bays: -1 (All Craft launch -2 Penalty)
Security: -3 (Borded ship has -3 Penalty until Security is taken back)
Armory: -3 (All ship weapons get -1 penalty)
Main Engineering: -4 (All movements -1 Penalty)
Bridge: -5 (All rolls -1 Penalty)
Last edited by Lt. Staplic on Wed May 12, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

I like the rules so far in the one round I have played. My only suggestion would be to modify the conn rules a bit. Simply put a competent crew should be able to execute simple orders pretty much without fail. If you say move foward in this direction at this speed it should just happen like 95% of the time.

I would also toss the contradictory orders stuff except in the realm of trying to get a specific position relative to the enemy ship. If you have a faster ship you should be all rights be able to basically dictate range and engagement terms, otherwise everyone should just go with the most firepower and wait for your opponent to get a bad roll so you can close in on them.

If you limit that to coming into play when players say something like "Put me into position to target his ventral side" and the other player says "Keep my ventral side away from him" it makes sense. But so long as you have an undamaged bridge I can't see anything stopping someone from executing a simple go here order.

It may not be as fun but it is more realistic that way. Hell, when the USN figured out that the Hellcat could outdive the Zero by a huge margin it was not exactly fair or exciting but if a Zero got on someones tail they just dove and ran away and it would work damn near every time. I think it would lead to a more realistic assessment of the various ships against one another.