So who are we?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

I am known in the 'real world' as Mike. I am 39.5 years old, so I'm not the eldest here. I reside in San Antonio Texas (home the Alamo...). I am married with 1 young sub unit, and I am employed as an insurance slave/cog of a large insurance company in my area.

I started out as an afficionado (at the tender age of 9) of fantasy gaming (D&D and the like), then to Superhero gaming, then sci fi stuff. I've participated in various Star Trek roleplay by e-mail and story by e-mail sites, but have scaled back my involvement due to marriage, child and mortgage.

I have watched BG (orig and new), Star Trek in all it's incarnations (well, re-runs with TOS and TAS), Star Wars, Firefly (awesome), and Babylon 5 (super-awesome).

I stumbled onto this site while trying to do some research for my story writing group (something about plasma torpedoes if I remember rightly...) I found the Caption Competetion and it kept drawing me back. Trying to come up with funny captions is easy, coming up with funny captions that Graham thinks is funny is more of a challenge...

And I also am a big basketball fan, and my San Antonio Spurs are peaking at the right decade for me to really enjoy them, so that also detracts from doing sci-fi stuff as a I sit glued to a TV for 2+ hrs. a night x82 games, plus up to 16 playoff games during the postseason.

... end of line ...
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

San Antonio, eh? By far my favorite city. Go figure the one Spurs game I went to was in 2005 and it was one of their only 2 home losses that season, when they lost to the AWFUL Utah Jazz. Still, great city.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Space Ghost
Master chief petty officer

Post by Space Ghost »

My name is Jason, I'm 23 and I am a graduate student studying history and secondary education. I live in the Pittsburgh area and I hope to teach high school and/or at a small college/university in the area. I'm engaged to a wonderful woman and will be getting married in May of 2009.

My interest in Star Trek started at a young age and has continued to this day. I also enjoy Battlestar Galactica (the best frackin' show on TV! :D), the Star Wars trilogy (the original 3, ignoring the prequels), and Stargate SG-1 (Seasons 1-7). My non-SciFi favorites are all on the Discovery Channel and include Dirty Jobs, Man vs. Wild, and Mythbusters.
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Space Ghost wrote:My name is Jason, I'm 23 and I am a graduate student studying history and secondary education. I live in the Pittsburgh area and I hope to teach high school and/or at a small college/university in the area. I'm engaged to a wonderful woman and will be getting married in May of 2009.

My interest in Star Trek started at a young age and has continued to this day. I also enjoy Battlestar Galactica (the best frackin' show on TV! :D), the Star Wars trilogy (the original 3, ignoring the prequels), and Stargate SG-1 (Seasons 1-7). My non-SciFi favorites are all on the Discovery Channel and include Dirty Jobs, Man vs. Wild, and Mythbusters.
Other than the engagement part, you've pretty much nailed me dead on, especially the non-scifi shows. Random.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Space Ghost

Post by Space Ghost »

Creepy... :)
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

My name is Shran (prefer not to reveal it to keep privacy and such), 17 years and 5 days old at hte moment of this post, I'm a fan of Star Trek, going to Dutch equivalent of high school, and I like classical music.
kurushio
Crewman
Crewman

Post by kurushio »

Hi there,

I'm 27, living, studying (communication sciences) and working (as a freelance editor) in Berlin, Germany.

My love of Trek began in the early 90s, and hasn't faded ever since, although I never really fell for ENT. My favourite incarnation remains DS9.

In the fantasy/sci-fi area, I also really enjoy the works of Joss Whedon, especially Firefly, the new BSG and Heroes.

Besides that, I'm admin of a German poetry forum, a martial artist, and have been called a bohemian more than once.

I think - I can't exactly remember - I've been visiting DITL since 1999, and I still really appreciate the work Graham and Ian have been doing over all these years. Thanks a lot!

kurushio
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." - "Q Who?"
Deadilus
Crewman
Crewman

Scott Deadilus

Post by Deadilus »

Hi all,

Well, I'm Scott Deadilus (online pseudonym), 28 and from the UK.

I've been into online writing for about 8 years now, writing in one PBEM RPG (Play By Email Roleplaying Game) for about 6 years before parting company and starting a new game with my g/f and another writer.

When I'm actually working, I work as a Control and Safety Systems Engineer, coding shutdown and process systems and the like for oil rigs anywhere in the UK, USA or further abroad (recent trips include places like Nigeria, so it's not all a jolly!!).

The sci-fi collection includes Star Trek (TNG), BSG, The 4400, B5 (the lot), Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and also such items as Charmed, The West Wing and 24!! Luckily for me my partner is also a fan of all the above!! :D

Other than that, can't think of much else I'm going to give up without a few beers first!! :)
"There is an infinite universe out there for us to explore"

Star Trek : Infinity
www.st-infinity.co.uk
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Giles 20 year old male from the south island of New Zealand. Student at university.

Been into Trek for about 10 years now.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Name: Judge King
Date of Birth: 7-22-91
Current Location: Anchorage, AK (moving to Guam in September this year).
Hobbies: internet, biking, walking, Star Trek, Stargate, reading, etc...
Favorit Food: Ramen and bratwurst.
Place of Birth: Seliginstadt, Germany.

I'm an American citizen and German citizen.(my dad is American and my mom got her citizenship in Febuary or March).
Dean Martlou

Post by Dean Martlou »

Name: Dave
Superpower: extremely precise control of pheramone output, resulting in the ability to manipulate others.

okay, fine, i'm just a student and a stable boy; i don't do the others with any hint of proffessionality.
yet.
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

I don't give out much personal information on the internet, so forgive me if I'm a tad cryptic. My name is Brian, I currently live in Canada, and I'm working on finishing my university education after which I'll resume my travelling ways and take up residence abroad once again.

I wish to be a professional writer, and as a matter of fact I've finished the first draft of my first novel. Right now I'm just working on rewriting and revising it, and I'd be happy to post some on these forums if anyone's interested. It is sci-fi, though nothing resembling Trek.
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

my name is michael. i'm 24 years old and my hometown is san mateo, california. recently, i've been out-of-state for medical school.

i've been posting as "truevaliance" on the caption competition where i have been trying, in vain, to win for years. perhaps nobody appreciates my humor.

sci-fi shows that i like to watch other than star trek include the new battlestar galactica, firefly, farscape, babylon 5 and their respective spinoffs.

pleased to finally meet all of you!
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

My name is Jon Ellis. I'm 28 years old as of this posting. I got into Star Trek in 1986, Thanksgiving weekend. That Saturday, 8 PM eastern, channel 50.

I own all the series, from The Cage to These are the Voyages.... I'm also... a Star Wars fan. Yes, the shame! ;) Well, some SW. I loathe the NJO book series and TPM. Also a fan of Babylon Five.

Sailor Moon fan, too. And Transformers, can't forget them.

I work at the local Walmart, full-time. A good job.

Nice to meet you all. *Bows* :wave:
Martin
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Martin »

I haven't posted here, so here goes:

I'm Martin, 34, from Lancaster, UK.

I got into Trek in 1996 when I started watching TNG repeats and then saw First Contact at the cinema, so this was my introduction to the Borg! I used to watch TOS in the 70s and stubbornly refused to accept TNG...until I actually *watched* it and realised it was good (and realised what I'd been depriving myself of :roll: )

I started on DS9 and Voyager later in the 90s - I think I started DS9 somewhere in the middle of season 5 and was totally confused at first, it's not an easy series to get into somewhere in the middle but I persisted and got hooked...

Anyway, as for other things, I like other sci-fi, particularly Doctor Who as some of you may have gathered. I'm also quite keen on music, trains and photography (the latter two I often combine, photographing trains, hoping for something unusual to come past as an antidote to all the DMUs...)

That's all, nice to meet everyone. :D