The Worst Book You Ever Read

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Worst Book You Ever Read

Post by Deepcrush »

After the last year or so of being on here and working on my temper. I'm not sure it would be wise or safe for me to start reading her crap. Just the quotes I see from her and her books is enough to make me want to piss on her.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Deep... don't read it. Seriously, it wouldn't be pretty.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Though, it has been a long time since I've gone and killed Rochey. So it may just be due time.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

*Sighs, then gets broom and dustpan ready* Just when I got the place cleaned up... :P
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:takecover:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

:wave:
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Another problem is the inability to create new characters to replace the ones Del Rey's killed off. The YJK gave us Jacen, Jaina, Tenel Ka, Zekk, Lusa, Raynar, Raaba, Sirra and Anja. Add the JJK with Anakin, Tahiri, Lyric and Sannah and that's thirteen characters right there. There's also the Antilles kids-Syal and Myri-and Corran Horn's children, Valin and Jysella.

Del Rey has created Ben Skywalker, who is Luke and Mara's son. Allana, who is Jacen and Tenel Ka's son... and Vestara Khai(sp), who comes from a lost Sith tribe.

:bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

EDIT:

Most of the other new characters are dead or have been shoved off to the side. Exceptions are Jagged Fel and... I'll get back to you on that.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I thought Jaina was at least still alive, right?

Still, that's kinda weak writing, IMO, killing off that many characters. :?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well it was all done for dramatic effect.

The problem is that SW has never been a franchise where major characters were "Killed off for real," with any kind of regularity. They're trying to make it one and I think a lot of older fans don't appreciate it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The idea of killing off main characters never really bothered me (hell, the Gaunt's Ghosts series kills off nearly one major character per book, and they're great), what annoys me about the culling of the NJO is that it just hit the reset button in a big way.

Prior to the NJO I had the impression that the Skywalker kids, the Solo kids and the various other new characters were being groomed to take the helm of the SW EU to allow the stars of the OT to quietly step back from saving the galaxy every couple of weeks and retire. It certainly made sense, since the original characters were getting older and older, and them constantly rushing in to save the day in the nick of time was getting a bit hard to take seriously any more. Thus I imagined that the heads of the EU, being unable to kill them off, were just going to relegate them to background roles, perhaps appearing a few times to offer advice to the new stars of the EU.

Then along comes the NJO and the entire younger cast is killed off, with only a handful of exceptions. So now it's back to square one - the OT cast are still at the front lines since there's no one else to take over, and will probably remain there for the forseeable future, given that there're damn all people to replace them.

That's my major gripe with the NJO. It's not that they killed off main characters - it's that they killed off all the wrong main characters.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/H ... Literature

A collection of the worst books ever written guys.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Tsukiyumi wrote:I thought Jaina was at least still alive, right?

Still, that's kinda weak writing, IMO, killing off that many characters. :?
She is... and thanks to the Legacy comic book series, has basically been shoehorned into marrying Jagged Fel and becoming Empress Jaina Fel of the Empire.

Jaina Solo, daughter of Han and Leia who fought against the Empire...

I have to go... someplace. Anywhere else at the moment. Otherwise it will not be pretty. Excuse me...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:She is... and thanks to the Legacy comic book series, has basically been shoehorned into marrying Jagged Fel and becoming Empress Jaina Fel of the Empire.
The books have been broadcasting that since the early NJO for fucks sake. I wouldn't be surprised if it was that that gave the Legacy guys the idea, not the other way round.
Jaina Solo, daughter of Han and Leia who fought against the Empire...
...joins the good guys. Because that's what the Legacy Empire is. Jag Fel finally managed to find a balance between the chaos of the various Republics and the tyranny of Palpatine's Empire.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Am I the only person here who liked Fel?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I didn't really like him, but I never felt any real dislike of him. I was just apathetic towards him completely.