PS3s Suffering From Global Network Lockdown

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: PS3s Suffering From Global Network Lockdown

Post by Tsukiyumi »

stitch626 wrote:...it only means they have another program on their computer.
It sure does. :wink:

Now you all know, and remember, knowing is half the battle.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

stitch626 wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:"Steam" is an insidious pile of corporate crap that they've tried to force on people to prevent piracy. Your computer has to link to the Steam network in order to activate a game you bought.

Nice try, arseholes! :pirate:
Actually I enjoy Steam. It makes it easy to find games that are no longer in production and it works fine in offline mode. Its also has no effect on piracy. If a person uses Steam, it doesn't prevent them from pirating... it only means they have another program on their computer.
Steam's handy if you want to buy a game for really cheap or if you can't find it in the shops, but the requirement of some games that you have to have Steam up and running (and thus connected to the web) to play even just the single-player is utterly infuriating. It's also a complete bitch to actually set up.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sionnach Glic wrote:...the requirement of some games that you have to have Steam up and running (and thus connected to the web) to play even just the single-player is utterly infuriating...
See, that's my main problem with it. What, paying f*cking $70 for the game isn't good enough; now I have to buy internet service for another $60 a month to even play the f*cking game? How is that reasonable? My mom saved up for months to buy me an NES for my eighth birthday; nowadays, I wouldn't have been able to get anything. There's no way people that poor can afford to pay a monthly subscription fee.

To me, it's just another example of pandering to the rich. But hey, that's where the money is, right? They have it.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

...Steam isn't pay monthly, or at least I don't have to.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Reliant121 wrote:...Steam isn't pay monthly, or at least I don't have to.
No, but you have to have the internet to use Steam. :wink:
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Ohhhhhhh, our internet comes part and parcel with our digital TV costs. So we kinda just...have it. perhaps i take things for granted :P
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Reliant121 wrote:...perhaps i take things for granted :P
Well... cut it out. :lol:
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

but the requirement of some games that you have to have Steam up and running (and thus connected to the web)
Or you set it in offline mode and can play any game, with or without internet connection. I do it all the time.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.