New Build

USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: New Build

Post by USSEnterprise »

It should work fine. The GTX 9800 take up about 230 watts in load. Add in your other components and and a 550w Corsair power supply should be fine.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

USSEnterprise wrote:It should work fine. The GTX 9800 take up about 230 watts in load. Add in your other components and and a 550w Corsair power supply should be fine.
Sweetness.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

USSEnterprise wrote:Apevia isn't a very good psu brand. The 9800 GTX needs at least 26 amps on the 12v rail, I think your current one has 22 or so.

I would recommend this... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139005

You could get away with a lower wattage one as well if you don't plan on going with SLI or major overclocking. Corsair and Antec are good brands though.
Could you explain what you mean by "amps on the rail"? I'm no electrician. :wink:

It should work fine. The GTX 9800 take up about 230 watts in load. Add in your other components and and a 550w Corsair power supply should be fine.
Also, according to this website the 9800GTX+ requires 450 watts.

Unless I calculated wrong or something.

I recently RMA'd the PSU and now I'm waiting for a new one.

However, if the problem has to do with the 9800 trying to draw more amps than the psu can give I could end up just frying another one right?

I think I'll just go get myself a new psu. To heck with Apevia. :roll:
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

LaughingCheese wrote:
USSEnterprise wrote:Apevia isn't a very good psu brand. The 9800 GTX needs at least 26 amps on the 12v rail, I think your current one has 22 or so.

I would recommend this... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139005

You could get away with a lower wattage one as well if you don't plan on going with SLI or major overclocking. Corsair and Antec are good brands though.
Could you explain what you mean by "amps on the rail"? I'm no electrician. :wink:

Also, according to this website the 9800GTX+ requires 450 watts.

Unless I calculated wrong or something.

I recently RMA'd the PSU and now I'm waiting for a new one.

However, if the problem has to do with the 9800 trying to draw more amps than the psu can give I could end up just frying another one right?

I think I'll just go get myself a new psu. To heck with Apevia. :roll:
A rail basically is a set of transformers that turn household electrical current into the voltages that the computer uses. (Thats how I understand it anyway). So amps on a rail refers to how many amps can be passed through at a certain voltage. High quality PSU's have a large number high amps on their rails. In most cases, amperage is more important than wattage. The Apevia PSU probably won't be able to run your system, at least stably. Hopefully it didn't damage any of your other computer parts when it died.

Some advantages of the 550w corsair PSU are that it has 41amps on the 12v rail compared to 22 and it is 80 PLUS Certified which means it runs at at least 80 percent efficiency.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

USSEnterprise wrote: A rail basically is a set of transformers that turn household electrical current into the voltages that the computer uses. (Thats how I understand it anyway). So amps on a rail refers to how many amps can be passed through at a certain voltage. High quality PSU's have a large number high amps on their rails. In most cases, amperage is more important than wattage. The Apevia PSU probably won't be able to run your system, at least stably. Hopefully it didn't damage any of your other computer parts when it died.
Arg!!

That's what I've been thinking about this whole time...so I guess there's no way to tell until I get a new psu and test that one eh?

Some advantages of the 550w corsair PSU are that it has 41amps on the 12v rail compared to 22 and it is 80 PLUS Certified which means it runs at at least 80 percent efficiency.

Sweetness. I'll steer clear of apevia from now on. :roll:

Do you think I could get away with the 450W on my specs? Or should I not chance it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-17139003
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Well, the new psu from Apevia arrived and it seems to be working now, the 9800GTX+ is up and running as well.

The font that I'm seeing here is a bit odd, and the screen seem slightly fuzzy.

I guess I have some tweaking to do... :P