SFDebris: The Search for Spock

The Original Series
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SFDebris: The Search for Spock

Post by Captain Seafort »

YouTube

He's nailed it perfectly - some great ideas, and some truly great scenes, but they couldn't stitch it together properly.

I'm surprised he didn't pick up on the obvious problem of how Spock remembered his exchange with Kirk as he died, despite that occurring after the Katra-dump.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: SFDebris: The Search for Spock

Post by kostmayer »

Part of that exchange between Spock and Kirk was a repeat of the exchange between them both in Spock's quarters, just before Kirk took command. Is Spock not remembering that exchange?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Still the second-best of the odd-numbered movies, behind XI.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

I've always thought of it as sort of a middling movie.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

For an odd numbered trek movie it wasn't that bad. Not that good either. Oddly enough growing up it was the Trek movie I saw ALL the time because it seemed to get the most play on TV.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

It was good because it opened up more of the Star Trek universe. That and the Excelsior/chase scene.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I don't understand why kill David? Kirk just met him. They didn't even have a traditional father/son game of catch.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It was just the writers trying to make us feel sympathetic towards Kirk. The problem is that, as the review correctly points out, it has damn all of an impact.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That and issue of Saavik too.

The sets look cheap too.

Though the death of Enterprise was done pretty good. The mourning done nicely and hell the Enterprise went down as a burning streak across the sky. Though I didn't know the Enterprise was that close to the planet.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"