Let's Equip Starfleet Security

Trek Books, Games and General chat

Should SF security be a policing force or bringers of flaming death?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:36 pm

SWAT/police
78%
Marines/SOF/commandos
22%

Total votes: 18
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Let's Equip Starfleet Security

Post by Mikey »

Isn't a Glock 17 a 9mm pistol? Unless it's rechambered for the .357SIG, you better hope they're charging from far enough away to get at least half a clip downrange into each one.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Good point. A 9mm may only piss off a charging Klingon.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Frak the 9mm. Take the 1911 and split some skulls. Those .45s can shatter concrete bricks! Freaked me out the first time I saw it.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Mark wrote:Good point. A 9mm may only piss off a charging Klingon.
How about a few Pikemen?

Or perhaps a little (but not much) more seriously, giving Starfleet Security one of those extending sword thingies that Sulu had in Star Trek XI?
Last edited by kostmayer on Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

That was kind of my point, although there are more modern, DA semi-auto pistols with similar firepower.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:Frak the 9mm. Take the 1911 and split some skulls. Those .45s can shatter concrete bricks! Freaked me out the first time I saw it.
I wonder if overpressure 9mm rounds could do that?

To the range!
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Frak the 9mm. Take the 1911 and split some skulls. Those .45s can shatter concrete bricks! Freaked me out the first time I saw it.
I wonder if overpressure 9mm rounds could do that?

To the range!
If you don't survive. I'll be laughing in memory of you! :wave:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

They aren't hand-loaded; they're the sort police use.

Thanks anyways! :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Okay, so what do we have so far for this thread? Anyone care to do a recap or should we start over with the ideas we have on hand now?
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Frankly I think that those who are saying go to conventional firearms are nuts. If you watch the traditional development of hand carried weaposn it is pretty clear what stage they are in in Trek.

When there was a transition from bow and arrows to firearms initially people used both. Once firearms were advanced enough people basically ditched armor for a period of several hundred years. Simply put it was not effective enough to be worth the weight. However firearms failed in delivering either the volume or accuracy of fire that the previous bow and arrow system did for several hundreds of years as well. So why did people not go back?

Well, because materials technology had advanced to the point that the bow and arrow could be stopped by reasonably obtained armor of the time. So when firearms came along they offered a way to beat the armor. Since no armor could be produced at the time that would stop firearms armies eventually stopped wearing it all-together.

So this brings us to the Napoleonic War where you see similar things to what you see on this thread, which is Wellington saying he would like a unit of longbow men. After all they fire faster and are just as accurate if not more so, plus no one has armor now. IRL it did not happen because no one was trained to do so.

In Star Trek there is a different problem. We are somewhat close to having armor now that can stop most bullets. With advances in material technology I am making the assumption that reasonable armor against bullets (at least chemically driven ones) can be simply created. More than that it can simply be replicated very quickly if someone were to start using armor.

My assumption is that the reason armor is not used is that beam weapons can power up enough to defeat almost anything someone could reasonably carry and wear so they just go without. Because of that I assume phasers are dialed back to be simply sufficient to kill an unarmored opponent but could eaisly be turned up if armor appeared.

So that is the reason I think conventional guns are not going to work. They will be eaisly defended against. I could see them as valuable secondary weapons, but as a primary weapon I don't see it.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

BigJKU316 wrote:When there was a transition from bow and arrows to firearms initially people used both. Once firearms were advanced enough people basically ditched armor for a period of several hundred years. Simply put it was not effective enough to be worth the weight. However firearms failed in delivering either the volume or accuracy of fire that the previous bow and arrow system did for several hundreds of years as well. So why did people not go back?
Because training a competent bowman took a lifetime, while training a competent musketeer took a few months tops. That was the huge advantage of firearms over bows, not protection (which was only available to the richest combatants).
My assumption is that the reason armor is not used is that beam weapons can power up enough to defeat almost anything someone could reasonably carry and wear so they just go without. Because of that I assume phasers are dialed back to be simply sufficient to kill an unarmored opponent but could eaisly be turned up if armor appeared.
Nice idea, but phasers are piss-poor against armour, or any type of metals. They're routinely blocked by packing crates, and when Paris used a phaser against a modern (i.e. 1990s) lorry, he did no worse than burst a tyre - it didn't even take the wheel off.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Seafort's right. Fact is we've seen that while Phasers CAN do impressive damage. More often then not, they don't.

KE weapons ARE effective in battle. Phasers are sometimes effective, sometimes not. So we made a choice between them. Bodyarmor is always helpful, even if only in small amounts its better then nothing. NO bodyarmor... is of no help... ever. Again, it came down to making a choice between them.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Is it me or did Disruptors seem far more effective during a battle? I cant remember what the episodes are but they always seemed more destructive.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Could be that disruptors were always designed as firearms and not TV remotes.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It depends which Reliant is talking about - if it's the shipboard ones then it might be a product of the disruptor-using powers tending to design their ships with one or two high-powered weapons in the forward arc, rather than a dozen or so weaker weapons covering the entire ship.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.