the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Sela and Tain getting jiggy

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Then why did the Romulans ally with the Feds and Klingons, two races who they'd long had conflicts and rivalries with? Why did the Cardassians ally with a new and unknown faction, and another race that had a reputation for being untrustworthy? Why did they cooperate together to strike the Founders' home world?
Precedent has shown that they're willing to put rivalries aside when it comes to matters that are in their best interests.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Again, conceded. The problem I'm having is with the two races working TOGETHER for an extended period of time (i.e. Federation and Klingons) They'd be so afraid of the other getting an advantage and screwing them over, they'd try to do the same to them first. I guess that's the crux of my point.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:Again, conceded. The problem I'm having is with the two races working TOGETHER for an extended period of time (i.e. Federation and Klingons) They'd be so afraid of the other getting an advantage and screwing them over, they'd try to do the same to them first. I guess that's the crux of my point.
Why? Look at modern countries - they've all got long track records of working closely with someone. The UK and US have been close alllies for over 60 years, France and Germany for over 50 (despite their previous track record of regular wars), and England and it's various successors has been allied to Portugal for over 600 years. Not to mention the various historical alliances of varying closeness and length. Why should Trek powers be any different?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

France and Britain had a long history of being at each others' throats, sometimes for centuries on end. Yet they both teamed up in WWI and remained fairly alright allies for some time after.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

If Cardasians and Romulans would enter the alliance, the reason wouldn't be Klingon agresion. The Klingons don't have a border with the CU. There sre fed, breen, romulan space among them. But an alliance would be interesting, it would give a nice enemy to the Klingon fed alliance.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

How do you know that Klingons don't have a border with the Cardies? I don't think there're any canon maps.
And the Cardies did join up with the Dominion due to Klingon aggression.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The impression from WotW, with the Klingons using DS9 as a staging point, rather than a system within the Empire seems to suggest that they and the Cardassians do not have a common border. Alternatively, they may have been staging the attack from there to give their excuse of defending the AQ more credibility, and to put them closer to Cardassia itself, which is extremely close to the Bajoran border.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Captain Seafort wrote:The impression from WotW, with the Klingons using DS9 as a staging point, rather than a system within the Empire seems to suggest that they and the Cardassians do not have a common border. Alternatively, they may have been staging the attack from there to give their excuse of defending the AQ more credibility, and to put them closer to Cardassia itself, which is extremely close to the Bajoran border.
Close is an understatement. How long were Sisko and Jake aboard the Solar/Warp Sailer in the episode "Explorers", and how fast did it go? That can give us a rough time estimate for the distance between Bajor and Cardassia.

For Obsidian Order/Tal Shiar cooperation, I'd argue that they were working together to deal with a much nastier threat. They were smart enough to realize that the Dominion was a future threat to both the Cardassian and Romulan ways of life, and decided to do something about it. Unfortunately, the Founders thought the same, and prepared a trap.

Now if the OO/TS strike had succeeded, or if the Dominion had not come through, then the cracks might have started showing between them.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

No doubt. Any forced marriage like that would only last while their energies were being directed toward a common goal. After that, even if they could be made to trust each other, cross purposed would take over.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

there is either a common border or at least contested territory which may constitute one of sorts, i can't remember how it is spelt but something like the ''b'trekka nebula''
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay