Subjegated Races

Deep Space Nine
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Subjegated Races

Post by Teaos »

Dont know if the Founders would trust them building stuff for them. Better to get them to just pay you in resources.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:Dont know if the Founders would trust them building stuff for them. Better to get them to just pay you in resources.
Exactly. Like I said, you can cow people into not rebelling outright, but not so much into not sabotaging stuff they build for you.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:Dont know if the Founders would trust them building stuff for them. Better to get them to just pay you in resources.
They evidently trust their underlings enough to buy torpedoes off them.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

To be fair for this discussion, the Karemma didn't manufacture them - just retailed them.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:To be fair for this discussion, the Karemma didn't manufacture them - just retailed them.
Where did you get that from? The impression I got from the episode was that the Karemma produced the torpedoes as well. Certainly their trade minister was quite knowledgeable about their design.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I admit it's an assumption, based on the general presentation of the Karemma as traders rather than manufacturers. I don't make cars, I sell them - but I could tell you, for example, how different types of fuel injection work.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Who's to say the whole race is like that?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Moreover why would the whole race be like that? The Vorta and Jem'Hadar may be single-role species, but they are specifically engineered for those roles. There's no evidence that the Karemma are, and even the monospecies seen in the rest of Trek have at least some diversity of occupation.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Maybe thats all the Founders will let them do?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:Who's to say the whole race is like that?
Captain Seafort wrote:Moreover why would the whole race be like that? The Vorta and Jem'Hadar may be single-role species, but they are specifically engineered for those roles. There's no evidence that the Karemma are, and even the monospecies seen in the rest of Trek have at least some diversity of occupation.
As I said, I admit it was an assumption. But that sort of monomania, along with a degree of monoculturalsim, is far from without precedent in 'Trek. The Ferengi, for example - aside from Rom and Nog, who were portrayed as oddities, even the Ferengi who aren't directly involved in commerce are involved in some sort of support of commercial activities. The only Klingons I recall not involved somehow in the prosecution of violence were involved in clerical roles, which can hardly be seen as an alternative industry.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:As I said, I admit it was an assumption. But that sort of monomania, along with a degree of monoculturalsim, is far from without precedent in 'Trek.
And it's one of the worst aspects of it.
The Ferengi, for example - aside from Rom and Nog, who were portrayed as oddities, even the Ferengi who aren't directly involved in commerce are involved in some sort of support of commercial activities.
You also have Eliminator Leck who, while considered unusual, was far from a one off, and the military (or pirates) seen in Peak Performance (with an attitude to surrender that would do the stereotypical Klingon proud) and Rascals.
The only Klingons I recall not involved somehow in the prosecution of violence were involved in clerical roles, which can hardly be seen as an alternative industry.
We've also seen lawyers (DS9) and traders (TNG - Gambit). Plus the obvious fact that the Empire simply couldn't survive if the obsession with combat was species-wide.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

There was talk of a Klingon Doctor in Star Trek VI, he was apparently killed by the two Starfleet assasins. And the Scientist in the last episode of Voyager, who built whatever it was that Janeway stole (my memory of that episode is a bit vague).

Oh, and Worf's nanny.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:And it's one of the worst aspects of it.
But unfortunately, still an aspect of it.
Captain Seafort wrote:You also have Eliminator Leck who, while considered unusual, was far from a one off, and the military (or pirates) seen in Peak Performance (with an attitude to surrender that would do the stereotypical Klingon proud) and Rascals.
True, though basing objectives on anything other than commercial interests seemed to be grounds for administrative discipline.
Captain Seafort wrote:We've also seen lawyers (DS9) and traders (TNG - Gambit). Plus the obvious fact that the Empire simply couldn't survive if the obsession with combat was species-wide.
Fair enough. As to the last sentence you wrote, unfortunately see my first comment above.
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

the vorta are not mono-role, some are diplomats but others were mentioned as scientists especially regarding the cloning process of one of the weyouns..
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay