Theory on why the Supernova was like that...

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Theory on why the Supernova was like that...

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed. No Borg. Not for a while, at least.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Question: I was ruminating recently, in the shower as most people seem to ruminate, about "Red Matter" and the possible explanation for what it is. We know it can create black holes, we know it's at the very least semi-liquid. From what I gathered just for how it formed on screen (in a large red ball, and then in smaller balls that joined together), it is probably some sort of super-dense/super-massive element with powerful effects on gravity.

Hypothetical: Could Red Matter be what the Romulans use to create the artificial singularities they use to power their starships? As such, it would explain why we never heard of it before because it would probably be classified up the wahzoo (or Romulan equivalent there of).
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Possibly, but even if it's super dense that doesn't really explain anything. Neutron stars are so dense that the atoms themselves have collapsed under the gravitational attraction and they still don't turn into black holes.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The Romulan connection is a possibility, but one thing argues strongly against it for me - the Romulans had to ask the Vulcans to make the stuff and save them from the supernova, when under your idea it is the Romulans who should have had all the knowledge and experience in that field.

To me, red matter is some sort of exotic material, probably a form that is simply beyond our science.

And I far prefer that they leave it that way, to be honest. "What's red matter?" "It's stuff that makes black holes, and you won't understand how until the next five scientific revolutions have gone by."
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Well, did the Vulcans make the red matter or merely make the ship? My impression it was there ship. They never really explain where red matter comes from do they?
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Why would they need any Vulcan involvement at all? The star must have been close to Romulus, after all, since that was the first planet it destroyed. We do see the red matter in the ship when it is on Vulcan, with Vulcan scientists fiddling with the containment chamber. There's no solid statement that the Vulcans made it, but there's equally no trace of Romulan involvement in it at all.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Why would they need any Vulcan involvement at all? The star must have been close to Romulus, after all, since that was the first planet it destroyed. We do see the red matter in the ship when it is on Vulcan, with Vulcan scientists fiddling with the containment chamber. There's no solid statement that the Vulcans made it, but there's equally no trace of Romulan involvement in it at all.
Fair point. So we're free to speculate.

I also don't mind that it was left vague. It doesn't really need to be explained unless they feel the need to do so in the next movie, but it does leave room for Fan Speculation.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Frankly the less they try to explain about it the better. It's pure technobabble given CGI graphics.
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

The red matter is evil, because it's red. Red stuffs can do bad things. That is all.
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

And it was very, VERY red, wasn't it? I mean, no normal object is that red.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yes, but doesn't red make it go faster?
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

Maybe it's William Shatner's blood, it too, creates a vacuous hole in time and space devoid of anything and sucks up everything in it's vicinity, claiming quality shows like TJ Hooker, Barbara Coast and Star Trek 5, the death of a franchise, and consuming all nearby talent and acting ability.

Just a theory...
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Um... It was actually mined, I don't remember where I read it, but Abrams or someone who worked on the movie said it, if only I could remember where.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tyyr wrote:Yes, but doesn't red make it go faster?
If your an Ork. ;)