Kalyskaya class Stealth Torpedo ship

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Kalyskaya class Stealth Torpedo ship

Post by Reliant121 »

[[ No pic as yet, As I am currently on my netbook...the screen is too small to actually draw images on :lol:}}

The Kaliskaya class stealth ships can somewhat be equated to a Submarine from modern day navies. She is designed to close with an enemy under stealth, and unleash a truly awesome payload of torpedoes or missiles, and then slink away quickly. As such, the ship requires 3 things: Stealth ability, high maneuverability and a high payload. To get a balance of all three is a difficult thing, and requires painstaking design efforts. First I shall explain how ships detect, and how to avoid them.

Conventional sensors detect other vessels based on thermal emissions. Ships, by default, are incredibly warm things that give off major excess heat: Exhausts from ships, weapons fire, simply the ambient heat of a ship with a heated plasma power generation system is quite high, amplified by the lack of heat in space. The only way to evade conventional sensors is to stop the heat from emitting. There are three ways to do this, in order to try and reduce emissions. The cheapest is to reduce the temperature of the exhaust, which is the most obvious way of detecting a ship. Normally, the emissive gases are channeled into a series of filtered chambers filled with a exotic super cooled gelatinous substance. The gas is then ejected out of these chambers completely almost stone cold. This obviously doesn't stop the ship's ambient temperature. Mode two is to, underneath the armour plating, include a layer of a heat absorbing material. The only material with enough heat absorbing potential is a exotic metal named Callaedium. This material inherently absorbs heat. Unfortunately, it does not absorb all, and roughly 45% of heat is still radiated normally. Generally, the heat collected does reach dangerous levels over time, and the plates must be vented every 2 months. The third, is to construct specialized tanks along the hull underneath the plates that act as heat sinks, collecting all of the heat produced through the ship ad putting it into a specific tank. This can only be done for a period of 12 hours, before the heat rises to levels where it affects the interior environment.

While all this is possible, it is expensive. That said, to conventional sensors, these ships are virtually undetectable unless a visual scan is conducted (which can only occur at stupidly short ranges). That said, the Kalyskaya class is designed with all three of these methods incorporated. Her engines, which are mounted mostly internally, are high capacity making this ship very fast. She is fitted with 12 forward facing torpedo tubes, designed to take the Nuyavky type high capacity torpedo units. Torpedoes, which each act in the same way as a modern torpedo would, and have the capacity to take down a Medium sized cruiser on its own. She carries 4 single barrel PD turrets, as well as a 24 stack missile turrets which can be configured with anti fighter missiles, or missiles designed to damage small scale attack ships.

EDIT: oops...i typed the wrong name ¬¬
Last edited by Reliant121 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Kalyskaya class Stealth Torpedo ship

Post by Mikey »

Nice. I like how you've thought out the methods of stealth tech, as well as the drawbacks. I assume conventional weapons fire would blow the whole stealth bit?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Exactly, thats why you need the maneuverability. Once those torps go, you light up like a firework on new years eve. You gotta get that ship out bloody fast, or your gonna be smoking.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Reliant121 wrote:[[ No pic as yet, As I am currently on my netbook...the screen is too small to actually draw images on :lol:}}
I have one of these too. Great for browsing in bed.

Course, my desk is a whole 6 feet from my bed, but sometimes 6 feet is a lot.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Yeahh, i found that. And the Netbook runs on XP, where as my computer runs on the demon Vista. Which is probably why it struggles to play empire total war...