Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Ep Discussion: SG1 1.09 "The Torment of Tantulus"

Post by Varthikes »

Stargate: SG-1
"The Torment of Tantalus"

Another one of my top favorite episodes of Season 1. One of my top favorite episodes of the whole series actually.

I love the story involving Ernest Littlefield (with SGA's Paul McGillion playing the younger) and the 1945-experimentation of the device that we know as the stargate. Ernest's reaction to the arrival of SG-1 is played out perfectly--a man who's been stranded alone for fifty years finally being rescued. Love SG-1's reaction to finding him naked. Especially Carter's and Teal'c's reaction as naked Ernest hugs them all--Carter quickly stepping out of his path and Teal'c's frown. :lol:

The "United Nations of the Stars" room was a neat idea. And, one that will be revisited later--an alliance between four great races. Daniel's obsession with it was nicely played and Ernest trying to break him away from it.

We also have the return of Catherine Langford's character from the original film with her Eye of Ra medallion. How do you guys feel Elizabeth Hoffman's performance compares with Vivica Lindfors' for the role?
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Ep Discussion: SG1 1.09 "The Torment of Tantulus"

Post by Monroe »

I really enjoyed this episode. I thought Ernest could have been a little more crazy. It has been fifty years after all. And I didn't like how the entire thing collapsed right after they left. It had stood there for 50k + years. But overall it was really awesome. Often I'm in favor of unhappy endings but I'm glad this one had a happy one.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

It's the Curse of SG-1. :lol: They do seem to have a knack for bringing trouble with them wherever they go, after all.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Varthikes wrote:It's the Curse of SG-1. :lol: They do seem to have a knack for bringing trouble with them wherever they go, after all.
Wouldn't be a show otherwise :P I guess maybe the vibrations of the gate opening again is what set it over the edge.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-