Quality vs Quantity

Deep Space Nine
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Was there not one when the rebels took Coruscant from the Imperials? Although maybe not, my knowledge of the EU is far from encyclopedic. But I find it hard to imagine the galactic capital falling without a fight.
Spoilers for Wedge's Gamble/The Krytos Trap: There was hardly a fight at all. The bulk of the Imperial forces were evacuated, leaving a token force to make a show. Isard (Director of Imperial Intelligence, and de facto Empress) developed a virus that attacked non-humans, and released it on Coruscant, with the intention of giving the Rebels a dying world. The actual attack involved Rogue Squadron covertly inserting onto the plaet ahaed of the attck and managed to disable the planetary shield, allowing Rebel assault teams to sieze strategic point on the surface. The fleet involved was Home One and a couple of ISDs captured at Endor, versus a couple of Imperial ISDs and a few Golan battlestations. It was all over very quickly, with minimal fighting.
Hmm, you're right there. I guess I was thinking more of its abilities (slagging a planet in an hour), but that's more a product of the technology than the ship.
Quality vs quantity is relative. To us, melting a planet's crust in an hour is impressive. To the GFFA it's pretty run-of-the-mill.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Spoilers for Wedge's Gamble/The Krytos Trap:
The pinacle of inteligence, Isard most certainly is not. :?
Quality vs quantity is relative. To us, melting a planet's crust in an hour is impressive. To the GFFA it's pretty run-of-the-mill.
Good point. Even Alderaan's destruction wasn't a major event, IIRC.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:The pinacle of inteligence, Isard most certainly is not. :?
The plan wasn't that bad - it just didn't work out because the Rebels took the planet ahead of schedule. Her goal was always to destroy the Rebels before restablishing the Empire, and Krytos, by driving a wedge between the unaffected humans and the affected aliens, while symultaneously seizing Tyferra to drive up bacta prices (spoilers: Wedges Gamble, The Krytos Trap, The Bacta War), had a good chance of achieving that goal.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, now it makes a bit more sense.
And with all the interstelar trafic going in and out of Coruscant on a daily basis, the whole galaxy would be infected before too long unless there was a quarantine established.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"