Minor and other races of the Ariel universe

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Minor and other races of the Ariel universe

Post by Reliant121 »

in this thread, i'll post some stats and details on several races of the Ariel universe. Thats biology, culture and anything else relevant to the universe. First up...

The Nagaran Order

The Nagarans are a species of serpentoids that originated from Naga XII, a planet on the far edges of the Coridian Twilight. They stretch to roughly 2 meters in length, with a cobra like head and a long purple/blue tongue. Their eyesight is poor, with mildly worse visual perception in colour areas than humans. But their sense of smell is excellent, as is their hearing; each rated to be some 20 times superior to that of humans. The scales vary in colouration greatly, as does the shape of the head; often these variations denote which strain of Nagaran DNA the individual is descendant from. Each colour represents a particular "Kah-lafa", directly meaning "Brood" of which the individual belongs to. These Kah'lafa are each represented to the Nagaran "Te'hun Maar", which means something similar to Elder council, although the exact meaning is untranslatable. In the past, the various Kah'lafa were independent factions, that often fought among themselves. Centuries of civil war were caused by these conflicts, each one murderously bitter and fought with unmatched vigour. At a part in history, a faction rose to significant prominance, the "S'Thraz'la". These where entirely different to most other Kah'lafa, who were at the most more concerned with their own importance or conflicts. the S'Thraz'la were often termed by other factions as, Mik'ludui or "Stargazer". They were the first Kah'lafa that actively sought out technological advancement, and looked at reasons as to why they existed. A prominent S'Thraz'la named In'dima introduced a religious concept that worshipped a series of gods named "Mak'him", a long forgotten word for superior. He theorized that the Nagarans could not have been formed by mere chance, that something had to have intervened, and he came up with a pantheon of "Superiors" that created them. The S'Thraz'la worshipped them, and over the centuries, many other Kah'lafa accepted the religion of "Mak'himyi'ta".
In modern times the S'Thraz'la no longer exist, via cross breading the gene has been virtually eliminated. The most prominant Kah'lafa now is the 'A'kyz'i", a very common type of Nagaran characterized by a deep purple scales with varying patterns of brown and green dashed into the layer, coupled with a broad cobra head and long slender arms. Many variations of kah'lafa are suited to different tasks. For example, many S'ulamna (distinctive for very large bulky arms, and thicker, more armoured scales) are often used in the military as ground troops.
In the Coridian, they convert other races and populations in a similar way to the Ori of Stargate, either via subjugation or persuasion. The armies of the Nagarans are ruthless and efficient, with cutting edge technology, at least on par with the Ariel Triumvirate. Those that do not believe, are terminated without question. no remorse, no feeling. The religious figures that serve these people as priests, who also serve as fleet commanders, are M'nara, named after one of the first believers that enlightened others called M'nar. They serve the people as confessors, preachers and trusted friends to consult in the Way of Mak'himyi'ta. They also serve as commanders of the many detachments of troopers that come with it. Their authority is absolute. They are also the representatives of their parish on the Te'hun Maar.
Much of the Nagaran culture is infected with the Mak'himyi'tar belief system. For instance, the primary method of greeting is "Dama sad'ii", or "faithful friend". Rank system aboard ships begin with Som'raah (Neophytes), increasing to Sidim'raah (Acolytes) , then to Haas'raah (servitors). No Nagaran recorded has ever stopped believing in the Mak'him, and the belief is ingrained within their society; much like honour is in Klingon society. Offending the Mak'him is a serious rudeness, and is likely to get you into serious trouble with a Nagaran, beside the fact that it is illegal and punishable by death. Special care is advised when encountering the Nagarans, as many transgressions are possible to be made by only slight error.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Minor and other races of the Ariel universe

Post by Mikey »

"Naga XII" and "Nagaran" - very cute. :)

I like the detail in how their history shaped their current world-view.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I wonder if anyone else will pick up the reference :D
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Reliant121 wrote:I wonder if anyone else will pick up the reference :D
Nope. In the dark over here.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

me,myself and I wrote:
Here you go. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I only really heard of Naga after playing Warcraft III: Frozen Throne. I absolutely loved the Naga for some reason :D
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
me,myself and I wrote:
Here you go. :wink:
Ah-haa...I see said the blindman as he picked up his hammer and saw.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The Tinashii

Tinashii are relatively humanoid amphibians that inhabit about 100 systems in the heart of the Wayland zone. A typical Tinashii, male or female, normally stands at about 5ft 8 and weighs about 80 kilograms. Their skin is generally of a variety of shades, ranging from an almost white grey, to deep blues and purples, resembling the seas of which they evolved from. The head is similar to humans, but with an added halo of about 10 tentacles protruding from the tapered rear, almost acting as the hair does for humans. Contained within these tentacles are a the balancing systems of the body, somewhat like the sinuses act for humans, but far more extensive, giving the Tinashii incredible poise and balance. A series of sensory organs are contained here that work on mild electromagnetic fields, much like sharks of human waters have.

The Tinashii reproduce sexually but in a reverse to humans, the male carrying the young for a period of 5 months before giving birth. Generally 2-5 young are born each time. From birth, it takes 15 years for the creature to mature into a mature adult, and the life span is normally abour 60 years.

Tinashii hearing is generally about 85% of that of humans. Smell is about 115%, and sight is a staggering 165%. The major disadvantage of the Tinashii is their relatively weak frame and poor strength compared to humans, estimated to be only 60% as strong as humans.

The Tinashii are one of the many regional powers vying for control of the space in the Wayland, and with 100 planets, one of the more successful ones. They are fairly advanced too, not quite on levels to par with Republic Races, but getting up into pretty high tech. Many a species are in envy of the Tinashii, and see them as being quite benign due to the lack of using the comparitively impressive technology. The Tinashii are artisan's by nature, peace loving and jovial. They may have capable destructive technology, but it is purely for self defence. If the Tinashii wanted to, they could do a lot of damage to the Wayland (If the Republic didnt interfere that is), but they have no need.

The Tinashii are reknowned for their artistic industry; many a great painter or fashion designer has hailed from Tinashii-prime. It can sort of be compared to Milan, centre of art, fashion, culture and architectural design for a lot of places. If there is a fashion, you can almost guarantee it came from Tinashii. They are also incredibly liberal, homosexuality is perfectly accepted and has been for some time, and different religious and ethnic backgrounds are completely normal. There are very few vices that plague the Tinashii society, you can almost call it the idealistic republic. That said, political battles and debates of the Tinashii courts can be ruthlessly vicious and fast paced, quite cutting and very harsh. The Tinashii are incredibly intelligent and perceptive, and they use every ounce of what they have.

Other races tend to see them in two ways: good friends, or harsh enemies. The ones that are friends with them enjoy jovial relations, generous trade routes and many civilities between them, and a large proportion fo the Wayland is in this situation (as well as the Republic). The enemies however, are not treated quite so jovially. They are shunned and politically attacked by the Tinashii, trade embargo's on individual worlds are not uncommon, and indeed military skirmishes have been heard of. The Tinashii are quite capable of being excellent combatants if necessary, and they have considerable armaments to support them in this way.
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

I the name derived form a certain minbari ship type?

And is the artistic output so renowned for being skillful or for being innovative, or for their thought process, or even something else?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The name share with the Tinashii-haza was quite coincidental i assure you.

It's a combination. They have never exactly been straight forward, and have are willing to completely change the norms to see if something good can be produced from it.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Tinsashii - cont. = Tinashii Prime

Tinashii prime is a small and picturesque planet, dominated by large oceans that stretch to all edges of the globe. Small island chains and archipelagos disrupt the horizon reaching blue in places, but they are few and far between. And most of them have been occupied in some form or another. The weather on the entirety of the planet is relatively consistent; most of it being very similar to the caribbean. Hot, humid sunspots with frequent tropical rain storms. The planet is famous for its atmospheric storms that often disrupt sensors and such like, and is well regarded as having some of the most spectacular lightning displays known to the Republic.

The cities on Tinashii are quite hard to find, because all of them without fail are submerged, baring 2. The capital of Manarahk floats on a large array of repulsor generators, negating the huge mass of the city itself. It is constantly being expanded, and has doubled in size since it's original creation some 100 years ago. The other, is Mai'tan. This city sits on one of the largest islands in the equatorial archipelago, and is built along the banks of a huge waterfall. The city is divided almost equally in two by the River Inytalzi that leads to the waterfall. The only bridge between them is a great arched stone footbridge that stretches across the very mouth of the waterfall.

Architecturally, both cities are very unusual as they mimic medieval italian styles, large deep beige stonework (mock effect stonework) and high towers. Characteristically, the closer to the river and the water, the more expensive the home. Great spires sprout from the many apartments and rich homes, as well as from important government buildings.

The remaining cities are all submerged, all mimicking the architecture without the great spires. Shuttle craft are used to travel about the cities and between them and the capitals. Inhabitants must all remain within the pressurized hull of these submerged cities unless they have pressurized suits (which certainly are not standard for a civilian), but large observatories are always dotted around the city limits. A lot of the time, living on the surface cities is far more preferable to the submerged, due to the more idyllic conditions and the freedom of actions. Many regard Mai'tan to be more desirable than Manarahk, but the age of Mai'tan (having stood for some 1,000 years) makes it less viable for government services.

Orbitally, only one station bar the defense grid is in orbit. The station serves as the space port for all those who wish to travel to the surface. Large scale starships, (anything beyond 100 metres in length) are not permitted into the atmosphere as they are deemed to disrupt the natural beauty of the world. Personal shuttles and small scale gunships however are allowed, if you can find landing for them. The station has about 10,000 permanent inhabitants, but there are apartment spaces for 10,000 more visitors. The station handles all traffic control, freight transport and business transactions between external sources and the planet beneath its feet. It also serves as the headquarters for the Tinashii military, and the command centre for the orbital defense grid.

The defense grid consists of 100 semi-automated weapons platforms each armed with 2 medium capacity laser cannons, 6 gattling laser cannons and single long range High explosive Fusion missiles with a magazine of 20 missiles. They each individually carry a Automation core and targeting systems allowing somewhat independent action. Unfortunately, due to the inevitable bureaucratic cost cutting, they aren't completely independent, and require the long range sensors and the control of the orbital facility. That said, they are intelligent enough to prioritize targets, provided the station sends them the ID's of incoming ships. The grid is normally inactive, but can be activated at the single touch of a button. The AI system is completely slaved to that of the computer, which is in turn slaved to the commands of the crew members. In the case of a "rebellion" (computer term for the AI going rogue from its slave master), the defense grid can be disconnected from its parent AI core. Without the support of the core, the AI is automatically programmed to terminate functionality and become innate. In the event of an alien code trying to infiltrate the core, the self destruct device is triggered, setting the payload of all 20 fusion missiles to overload. The explosion is potent enough to incinerate the satellite and any wreckage.