Star Trek XI

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs

Do you think that it's a good idea for Trek XI to be set in TOS era?

Yes, it's a good a time as any.
11%
No, it should have been set in some other period.
26%
I'll watch it before I pass judgement.
57%
They should stop making Star Trek for a while.
6%

Total votes: 53
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Star Trek XI

Post by Sionnach Glic »

By all means, please explain how having massively long explainations when simple, short, explainations could suffice would contribute to the story in any way.
And besides, there was no real technobabble in TOS.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

I can at least imagine why the writers put the stuff in. 1) They want their wacky idea to sound believable 2) They're following a tradition by using it.

TNG was the worst. I think Voyager was almost as bad. Somehow, DS9 got away with alot less, IIRC. TOS was great, because all you needed was Scotty screaming and pulling his hair out to get the message across that the ship's in trouble. Ent was OK, but not great in this regard.
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'm with Seafort on this. There are times when "proper" technobabble can be used to indicate the advanced nature of science and technology - but often, it is used in a way which makes it obvious that it is being used to obfuscate the fact that no attempt was made to correlate real science with the writing.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I have no problem with them talking about science and technology to some extent, what's important is how they do it. You don't need to say "The enemy is disrupting our communications by generating a rotating quantum inversion field!" - you just need to say "They're jamming us!" It conveys the exact same information to the audience, without leaving them thinking "um... a what?"
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I have to agree with GK.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, I agree wtih that, too. Just say what is happening (ie, the warp core is going to blow). Don't go on a long description of how and why it's happening, unless it does something to further the plot.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That's one thing I liked about Generations. Geordi didn't give a big long speech about safety systems being offline, and core ejections systems being jammed, and all that. He just said "We have a coolant leak, we're three minutes away from a warp core breach, and there's nothing I can do."

Yet people complained about it. Go figure.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I loved that part because of the lack of TB.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, more writers should do things that way.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939