40k - The Horus Heresy

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

40k - The Horus Heresy

Post by Deepcrush »

So, anyone with even a few brain cells (they don't even need to be working) knows how much I live for GWS and Warhammer anything.

Has anyone read anything from The Horus Heresy? For me its been the most complete story line ever written for the 40k universe and has some purely amazing characters and history details. The series is almost as good as Frank Herbert's Dune series.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: 40k - The Horus Heresy

Post by Mikey »

I've been meaning to, but I've also been intending to get the Ravenor trilogy and the Ciaphas Cain books, and to step up my foray into the Gaunt's Ghosts series. I have a lot of 40k ahead of me.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I never thought I'd love a series as much as I love Dune but I may have been wrong. The Heresy series gives a lot of insight into the way things are the way they are with the Imperium.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Consider it added to the list.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I have mixed opinions on the Horus Heresy. This is mostly due to the fact that it's written not by one person, but by loads of different authors.

Some of them, particularly the first few, are excelent, and easily up there with the best of the 40K novels. But some of them, particularly that one about the Marine hijacking that warship (not the Eisenstein, the other one) whose name I can't remember, seem fairly pointless to the overall storyline.

Still, it's a good series, and definitely worth reading. I'm looking forward to Titanicus by Dan Abnett.
Abnett + titans = awesome.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Descent of Angels might just be the most pointless book in the entire series. Well that's actually as far as I've read (I buy the HH novels with x-mas money) and seemed to have to nothing to do with the actual HH other than establishing the background to a minor footnote in the campaign and that the Dark Angels harbour a TERRIBLE SECRET!

I'm waiting for Titanicus to be released in Canada in paperback and hoping for another IG Omnibus. Because the first one rocks! Catachan's for the win!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You might be waiting a bit - didn't Titanicus just come out a month or so ago in hardcover? As far as the Dark Angels - see my thread on Angels of Darkness by Gav Thorpe. A very nice exploration into that terrible secret.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:You might be waiting a bit - didn't Titanicus just come out a month or so ago in hardcover? As far as the Dark Angels - see my thread on Angels of Darkness by Gav Thorpe. A very nice exploration into that terrible secret.
I'll probably pre-order it, forget about it and then wonder what this package is in the mail. That's how long it'll take ;) Seriously though, we get them about a month after you guys.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I haven't seen it down here in paperback yet - in fact, it seems to be rather rare even in the hardcover.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:I haven't seen it down here in paperback yet - in fact, it seems to be rather rare even in the hardcover.
I pretty much have to get it off Amazon or Chapters.ca, the local stores usually don't have much WH40K in stock. :(