UCS Rabbit

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
shran
Commander
Commander

Re: UCS Rabbit

Post by shran »

Does midspace travel actually cause damage to space as it is suggested by tht word, in a sense that the ' enviroment could suffer damage' from frequent midspace transition and travelling?

A different question, what does the coalition use for landing vehicles and mass ground operations and the like?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Violent is exactly how I envisage it. Exiting the universe is not something that is "meant" to happen... you're breaking the rules. It should be a rough, violent process.

I don't envisage rifts causing permanent damage. But even if they did, the universe is a big place. Say a rift big enough for a battleship is a kilometre across... even a block of space a million km on a side could have a million trillion rifts in it before any two overlapped. And a block of space that size is vanishingly small on the scale of the solar system.

Midspace isn't a nice place, incidentally. The idea of it is that there are multiple universes, an infinite number of them in fact, crowded up against one another like bubbles in an unending blob of foam. Midspace isn't another universe, though - it's the soap that the bubbles sit in, the thing that keeps them apart from one another. It's full of energy filaments, something like cosmic strings. Like a universe full of spiderwebs, and those spiderwebs DO NOT LIKE matter. Midspace is a violent, dangerous place for an unprotected ship. And on occasion it's a violent and dangerous place even if you are protected... sometimes ships go in and don't come back out again.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

shran wrote:A different question, what does the coalition use for landing vehicles and mass ground operations and the like?
They shuttle things down in landing craft; this is the standard small one, and would function much as a Blackhawk does today.

I have in mind that they have teleport systems, but that they require a platform at each end with a physical link between them to work. It's not something I have decided on solidly as yet.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...