Pictures from the new TOS movie

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Pictures from the new TOS movie

Post by Mikey »

I'm forced to agree with you, KM. What 'Trek needs is to find a new, fresh jumping-off point.

That said, I am of course still going to see the movie.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Mikey wrote:I'm forced to agree with you, KM. What 'Trek needs is to find a new, fresh jumping-off point.

That said, I am of course still going to see the movie.
Will I see it, yes, I'm a Trekkie and proud of it, will I pay to see it, Hell No, I'm a Trekkie and I'm proud of it...

Thats the problem for me, I've already made up my mind about this so yeah, nothing they could do, short of recasting all the role to women in the Scifi Babes Thread and making it clothing optional will change my mind at this point...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

It's just that they had soooooo many other options here...........they chose to screw up THE ORIGINAL!!!
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Mark wrote:It's just that they had soooooo many other options here...........they chose to screw up THE ORIGINAL!!!
If he'd messed with Voyager Abrams would probably improve it (can't make it much worse) ... but then there's your problem: nothing else has the cachet or the "legitimacy" of TOS
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

As long as they don't count in Ent and they do keep the chem between the TOS characters I'll be happy. I like the idea of a relaunch. I think Trek is in need of it. Ent and Voy were just the writers beating the dead horse. There is a lot of stuff out there that can be covered if the writers just bother to look for it.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'd like to see the adventures of the E-J. A time travelling starship facing time traveling baddies. They could expand Trek into an entirely new dimension. One week, slugging it out with the Klingons in 2264, the next week chasing temporal baddies back into the dark ages.

Could get a bit of everything
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Mark wrote:I'd like to see the adventures of the E-J. A time travelling starship facing time traveling baddies. They could expand Trek into an entirely new dimension. One week, slugging it out with the Klingons in 2264, the next week chasing temporal baddies back into the dark ages.

Could get a bit of everything
Maybe there could even be dinosaurs - since so many of you like 'em so much :dinokill:
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

How long have you waiting for the right moment to use that one, Cap??? :mrgreen:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I could care less about that stupid pizza cutter but only with effort that I'm not willing to waste on something I care so little about. I'd like to see stories about other ships during the war. The effect the DW had on the rest of the AQ, not just Earth/DS9/Cardassia.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Regarding why Manny Coto wasn't involved in the project, I can think of 2 reasons off the top of my head.

1) He's associated with Enterprise. Regardless of what he did that was good for it, the fact remains that it wasn't enough for the execs or the audience to keep the series going. It got canned and he couldn't save it.

2) He was involved with Star Trek. I mean, how many people on this project have had anything to do with the franchise beforehand? Nimoy, and that's about it. This is a deliberate choice to rewrite Star Trek, with not just a recasting and re-imagining, but re-everything and re-everybody involved, except the barest of essentials in terms of story and design so they can still claim it's Trek. I'm surprised at how quickly I've turned skeptical; a week ago I would have been defending my optimism all over the place. These pictures are just bizarre.
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Chris Propst
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Chris Propst »

I've made a serious decision about this film. I decided for a while that I was going to go into this with NO expectations.
Yet what's the point of that? I will go into this film as a Star Trek fan because I AM a Star Trek fan. So are a lot of other people. They should have thought about that when they made the movie if they wanted to re-invigorate interest in the franchise.
As a Star Trek, I am seriously alarmed by what I see. Why should I give them the benefit of the doubt when THEY chose to screw up TOS?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Chris Propst wrote:As a Star Trek, I am seriously alarmed by what I see. Why should I give them the benefit of the doubt when THEY chose to screw up TOS?
Because until the film is out, and has been seen, we won't know whether they've screwed up TOS or not. I'm certainly not expecting this to be another TWOK or TUC, but neither do I intend to go into the theatre assuming it'll be crap.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I agree with Seafort.
Simply saying "they're remaking TOS, ergo it must be shit" is foolish. Reviews from people who have been allowed looks at the film are quite good, and we know nothing about the plot itself. Personaly I'm somewhat hopeful, and will be going into the cinema with an open mind.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Looking at that casting shot again, I think there's lots of potential, although I don't know squat about the guy playing Kirk. On a basic level, It'll be weird to get used to different faces, but those are talented actors. I can imagine Simon Pegg as Scotty, running around like a crazy man while the ship gets a good pummeling, sparks a-flying, trying to fix things. Anton Yelchin is a great comedy actor; and he's got a good Russian accent (but it might sound different from Koenig's). That dude as McCoy seems to have a very passionate air about him; McCoy always represented Spock's foil, the human, emotional, compassionate point of view. The new Kirk hopefully won't be smiling constantly, like Shatner's been doing his entire life. John Cho won't have the same tonal inflection when he speaks as George Takai does, but that might not matter at all. He's a good straight man. (No pun intended, honest to God.)
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

At first I didn't like the idea of recasting TOS, I'm still not a huge fan of it, I will always see the original actors as the only people to play those roles. I'm not saying they will fail or suck in the roles I just like Shatner as Kirk, Nimoy as Spock, Kelley as McCoy etc.

What most concerns me is how they will change the look and history of things.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus