Morning rant on ST 11

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Morning rant on ST 11

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, Kim went seven years performing numerous vital tasks to the survival of VOY and its crew (even dying!) and was still stuck as an ensign.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Rochey wrote:Well, Kim went seven years performing numerous vital tasks to the survival of VOY and its crew (even dying!) and was still stuck as an ensign.
In the Alternate Timeline though he was given a Command, though the amount of time that passed between the return and his Command is unclear. Janeway was promoted several ranks, presumably for bringing Voyager home. If Tuvok doesn't have a Command of his own he should at least be a First Officer. I mean he was a Lt. Commander and 2nd Officer of Voyager, plus a friend of Janeway's, with her history I would be surprised if she didn't try and get him a Command and I don't really see any reason why he doesn't deserve it, unless of course like Spock he didn't really want it.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

In the Alternate Timeline though he was given a Command
Yeah, "alternate". Presumably one with more sense.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

What I'm saying though is that there is no reason to say he would not be given a similar opportunity. Voyager was a small ship alone, it would be foolish if everyone was a Commander and thus promotions could not just be handed out, now that he is back he should be fast tracked to the rank he would normally expect to receive after 7 years. This doesn't mean they should make him a Captain all of a sudden but rather he should be promoted faster through the ranks thus giving him time to adjust and prove himself now that he is back. This, IMO, applies for the whole crew.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fair point.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I see it FAR more likely that he end up a XO than having his own command right away. The XO job is critical to learning command and is your proving ground.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, that would make sense.
There's also the possibility that, like Riker, he didn't want command at that point.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:I see it FAR more likely that he end up a XO than having his own command right away. The XO job is critical to learning command and is your proving ground.
Tuvok was in command of Voyager at one point (for a few weeks or months I think), and the ship was neither captured nor blown up. Unlike a certain other temporary CO I could think of.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, he's at least a competant officer.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

He went into special operations of some form, think.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Where did you hear that?
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

The closest thing I can think of to that would be his assignment infiltrating the Macquis. He has had a fairly long career in Starfleet even though he left for a period, it is possible that he did Spec Ops in the past but I don't know of the specific reference.
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It might also be in a post-Endgame novel.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, I was thinking he might have read it in a novel. Which would, obviously, make it non-canon.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Abrams: Pegg wept over 'Trek' footage
Wednesday, October 15 2008, 10:57 BST

By Simon Reynolds, Entertainment Reporter

Rex Features
J.J. Abrams has revealed that Simon Pegg cried when he saw footage from the upcoming Star Trek movie.

Speaking to MTV, director Abrams said Pegg, who plays Scotty in the science fiction movie, wept after watching a clip on his iPhone.

"I showed Simon Pegg [footage] when we were at Comic-Con. I showed him this little trailer thing and it was my favorite thing ever.

"He literally started weeping. It was ridiculous. He was sitting there, I mean he must have been plastered. Because he was looking at my iPhone [crying]."

Abrams also confirmed that Star Trek will be "a two-hour movie", saying: "I'm sick of these two hours and forty-five minute movies. Seriously, it's like I don't have enough time to stay two hours and forty-five minutes. I'm exhausted just saying that twice. I can't stand it."

Edgar Wright, who directed Pegg in Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz, hinted on his MySpace blog that he had seen a finished version of Abrams's movie and preferred it to the Star Wars prequels.

"Yesterday I saw a film that does not get released until next summer," he wrote. "I can't say much more than that, except that it delivers all the goods sorely lacking from a certain trio of prequels. Exciting stuff."
Well, at least if it sucks it won't be too long.