Catherine Tate and John Simm are back

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Catherine Tate and John Simm are back

Post by Sionnach Glic »

CATHERINE Tate is being lined up for a shock Doctor Who comeback, TV Biz can reveal.

The 40-year-old comedy queen, who played the Time Lord's dippy sidekick Donna Noble, will reappear in one of four Who specials planned for next year.

And fans will be delighted - and a bit scared - to learn Life On Mars star John Simm, 38, is also back.

He will reprise his sinister role as The Master - the Doctor's sadistic rival Time Lord who was last seen dying in his arch-enemy's arms.

Bernard Cribbins, 79, who played Catherine's on-screen grandad Wilf will be back as well.

A show source said: "Fans will be delighted to see Catherine back. She was one of the wackiest companions of all time and she brought heaps of humour.

"And it's great to have John back - he and David Tennant have a real nemesis chemistry."

The last episode of this year's BBC1 series saw the Doctor wipe Donna's memory and return her to her family.

But our source said: "Anything can happen in Doctor Who. His assistants are always recurring and Donna is no exception. When you're a Time Lord you can go back to any point in history and meet whoever you want."

Next year's specials replace the normal series, suspended so that Tennant, 37, could take time out for stage roles.

But we hear the wild-eyebrowed Scot is close to signing for a new full series of the sci-fi hit for 2010.

Our source said: "David loves filming Doctor Who. The upcoming specials have given him more freedom to work on other projects this year and now he's ready to come back to film a proper series to go out in 2010."
I'm glad that Simm is coming back, he was great.
Tate, not so glad.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Catherine Tate and John Simm are back

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I am glad she is coming back because I like the character and the actress. But I'm not so glad that they set up a "never, NEVER can she come back" only to have her come back anyway. It under-cuts her whole character to bring her back.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's precisely why I don't want her coming back. Although I dislike Tate, the character was at least bearable.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Meh. They've already done that with Rose (and directly contradicted the Doctor's character in the process), and to nitpick it was never stated that she couldn't come back, only that it would kill her.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Captain Seafort wrote:Meh. it was never stated that she couldn't come back, only that it would kill her.
Maybe the new guy is bringing her back so she will die and therefore never be brought back again :happydevil:
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I am glad she is coming back because I like the character and the actress. But I'm not so glad that they set up a "never, NEVER can she come back" only to have her come back anyway. It under-cuts her whole character to bring her back.
That's how I feel upon reading this. Her story arc had an ending. It should be over.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I hated the Donna character. She represents everyone I hate. I liked the Simms guy though.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

I read a bit recently where Russel TD said that they wanted to have JK Rowling make a guest appearance but David T said no because it would just become a celeb of the week show but RTD said he's going to try talk him around. Here's hoping they don't.
I thought the new guy was writing for the series now and not RTD?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, heard that too.

Hopefully Tennant will remain stubbornly against JKR being on the show. Seriously, did I miss the part where the woman had the ability to act?

And Stephen Moffat (the guy who did Blink) is taking the helm for season 5. RTD is doing the Christmass special, however.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Dammit when will RTD learn to leave things alone.

"Put down the pen and step away from the script writing desk Davis"
"Wait I just want to write another Deus Ex ending to a decent episode"
"That's it he's had his warning, mace the bugger"
"Argggh"
:happydevil: