The Foundation Series

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

The Foundation Series

Post by Monroe »

I just read this classic and really enjoyed it. Basic idea behind it is the Galactic Empire is failing and so a psychologist makes a mathematical program that will lead humanity to recovering in a thousand years to found the Second Empire that will rule for hundreds of thousands of years into the future. It had some concepts that Warhammer 40k and Star Wars both used like tech priests, Korellian smugglers, a planet-wide city capital of the Galaxy, blasters, hyperspace, etc. I'm pretty sure that Marvel lifted Magneto from a character in it too. It also had some goofy 1950s tech like coal powered hyperdrive engines and books that you could plug into a TV and the TV would play the book. But overall it was great. It also brought up some interesting questions in the third book about free will, etc.

On the negative side, I do wish it had a more diverse cast though. The first non-male character of any importance was about halfway through the second book and all the characters were white. Late in the first book there was a female who loved to buy pretty jewelry, I wonder if in the 1950s and 1960s Sci-Fi authors and comic book writers had ever spoken to a woman? On another down note some of characters in the first book were pretty unimaginative and boring. But once they got to the second book the writing improved considerably.

Anyway, anyone else had a chance to read this?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Startrekanmore
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Re: The Foundation Series

Post by Startrekanmore »

Monroe wrote:I just read this classic and really enjoyed it. Basic idea behind it is the Galactic Empire is failing and so a psychologist makes a mathematical program that will lead humanity to recovering in a thousand years to found the Second Empire that will rule for hundreds of thousands of years into the future. It had some concepts that Warhammer 40k and Star Wars both used like tech priests, Korellian smugglers, a planet-wide city capital of the Galaxy, blasters, hyperspace, etc. I'm pretty sure that Marvel lifted Magneto from a character in it too. It also had some goofy 1950s tech like coal powered hyperdrive engines and books that you could plug into a TV and the TV would play the book. But overall it was great. It also brought up some interesting questions in the third book about free will, etc.

On the negative side, I do wish it had a more diverse cast though. The first non-male character of any importance was about halfway through the second book and all the characters were white. Late in the first book there was a female who loved to buy pretty jewelry, I wonder if in the 1950s and 1960s Sci-Fi authors and comic book writers had ever spoken to a woman? On another down note some of characters in the first book were pretty unimaginative and boring. But once they got to the second book the writing improved considerably.

Anyway, anyone else had a chance to read this?
I have read this many times and enjoy it much every time I do. The series WAS inspired by "The Fall of the Roman Empire". It also won a special Hugo award at Worldcon in Cleveland (back in the 60's [nugget of knowledge-ST's pilot also debuted at the same con]). Seeing the era that the original trilogy was written in (1950's, not to mention Dr. Asimov's humanism, etc.) possibly contributed to the male dominated tone. And I do not recall many, if any characters being referred to as specifically being white.

All in all though an enjoyable (and highly recommended) read, as well as the 2 prequels and 2 sequels written later in his life.

Side note Check out this webpage: http://www.geocities.ws/asimovstamp