George Orwell's 1984

Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

George Orwell's 1984

Post by Varthikes »

Recently, I got around to reading this book.

Scary. Depressing. A fitting warning for our time, more so than when it was written with all the technology we have now. It should be required reading for everyone. While reading, I could not help but to think of current events and how people tend to let others tell them what to think and do, and believe whatever certain groups tell them to believe is right or wrong even against common sense.

I certainly don't believe that the government's control on everything we think, feel, and do will ever get to the point as described in the book (I happen to believe in a Higher Power that would never let things get that bad), but to think such a thing could never happen at all, even in places like America, is a sign of complacency.

As for the writing itself... I found the story well thought-out. I can see Orwell's own experiences in government work shining through. I like his style. He makes narration interesting to read. Even so, I still thought certain areas were drawn out a bit too much to the point that it got kind of repetitive.

For the most part, I found it an interesting read. Not something I will likely read again, though. Much too depressing. But, the next time I watch Babylon 5, I'll be able to appreciate all the 1984 references now.

I also watched the '84 version of the movie. I thought they captured the feel of material very well.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: George Orwell's 1984

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I think I posted it before, but there's a graphic comparing Brave New World with 1984, and it makes the point that we're far closer to the former than the latter.

Here it is :

http://i.imgur.com/vRBtL.jpg

Essentially, in BNW people are controlled not through violence and fear, but through entertainment and distractions. You don't NEED to take people's freedom away, because the vast majority of people don't particularly want or value freedom. They want shiny things and pleasure.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: George Orwell's 1984

Post by Mikey »

It has admittedly been about 30 years since I read 1984, but as I recall the great part wasn't Orwell's phenomenal milieu, backstory, etc.; rather it was the way such a huge overarching situation affected the individual and microcosmic issues of Winston and his relationship with Julia. While the book is famous for its depiction of a dystopian future, it is great for its analysis of what that dystopia means to an insignificant individual rather than to the world at large.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer