How many computers do you own?

Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

How many computers do you own?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

If you look broadly, computers are becoming more ubiquitous and common even as devices we'd usually call a "computer" (in a desktop or laptop format, whether Mac or PC or whatnot) gradually decline. Smartphones and tablets are the most obvious examples, as both are types of miniaturized computers by now.

My count is rather large:

1. Custom built desktop and 2. HP laptop - as detailed in other thread
3. Samsung Galaxy S8 smartphone
4. Cheap-ish Asus 8 in tablet (primarily as reader)
5. Android media box used to play video to HDTV off a 5TB external drive
6. said HDTV
7. blu-ray player (cheap/basic model, predates above media box but kept around just in case)
8. set-top box as provided by ISP/TV provider
9. Medtronic insulin pump (yes, it's powered by a special purpose mini computer to regulate and monitor insulin delivery and monitor sensor/ meter input via wireless signal)
10. Blood glucose meter (custom built mini computer to read results of strip and keep log of results in memory)
11.FiOS cable modem/wireless router combination (albeit not fully mine but family owned)

Other mini control boards built into projection alarm clock/radio and modern thermostat controlled room air conditioner (which even has its own remote) could count as weaker examples still.

1-5 are my list are the clearest, and my list is expanded a bit by custom medical equipment but they all have a CPU in them. There's an older smartphone kept as a backup (still works, and it's trade in value of about $10 is low enough that I saved it in a box) that could add to the list as well
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: How many computers do you own?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I've arranged my own list roughly in order of estimated "smart-ness" but if it looks like I'm stretching a bit, consider how much the devices even down on that list would dwarf the computing power of the mostly ground based systems used to control the Moon landing and the onboard systems aboard the space shuttle...

The machines are taking over.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Ever or currently. I have a MacBook Pro Touch Bar and a Mac Mini. The mini is used as a media server. The MBP does everything else. I also use a iMac 5K at work.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So I have...

1) iMac
2) iPad
3) iPhone X
4) AppleTV
5) TV itself
6) Sky box
7) Sky wireless router
8) Computer wireless router
9) Bedside alarm clock
10) Car computer system
11) Computer on the Oven
12) Microwave oven
13) A Canon SLR camera
14) Computer boiler controller
15) Smart meter for the electric
16) Smart meter for the gas

In the house there's also a macMini, another iPad, two more sky boxes, two more TVs, another camera, and a blu-ray player. But none of those are mine.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Let's see.

1. Scan 3XS-built system I've seen changed the HDDs and gfx on. (See 'my gaming rig' topic...)

2. Old [non-functional] computer that worked when it was in my bedroom at my old house, now... just gathering dust. I'll probably do... something... with it at some point.

3. Xbox One

4. Xbox 360

5. My 50" TV (JVC smart tv with web browser and youtube and netflix built-in)

6. Amazon Fire Stick on my TV

7. Virgin Media box on my TV

8. Amazon Fire 10"

9. Samsung Galaxy Tab 8" I think. ... it shuts down at 60-50% battery, low voltage can't 'jump' the gap I'm assuming, since a slight handling triggers the screen to go funny for a few milliseconds and it shut down.

10. OnePlus smartphone.

11. Oh yeah, 5-port ethernet switch keeping my TV, fire stick, xbox one and virgin media box wired through one wire from my bedroom to the office, where:

12. 8-port ethernet switch, which receives from my room and my dad's room, also got my pc, and the modem. Eventually I figure I'll get another socket used for the living room.

13. The modem.

14. My dad's TV in his bedroom.

15. the 5-port switch in his room.

16. the sky set top that is... just sitting there in his room.

17. his blu-ray player (also wired ethernet'd)

18. his chromecast dongle in his tv.

19. his little settop box that is discontinued for "fire stick" like little boxes that coughcoughahem.

20. His Samsung tablet... 10" I think.

21. His laptop - its old, had it since before we even moved to my last home, so, not actually all that good. a 17" screen model, can't find many above 15" now. (I remember when Alienware did them, pre-Dell ownership, with *2* full 3.5" hdd's in raid! obviously pre-SSD.

22. His phone.

23. The TV in the living room.

24. The Amazon Fire stick in that TV.

25. The Blu Ray player in the living room.

26. The Virgin Media box in the living room. Struggles due to being on wifi. No ideal way to wire it properly.