Star Wars Empire at War

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Star Wars Empire at War

Post by McAvoy »

I have been playing this game for the month. I got it... Online.

I played this game years ago on a couple of computers ago. I just rediscovered it. It's certainly a great game. Though the Zahn addition makes it a pain in the butt. I still think they are a bit overpowered.

I am playing the galaxy mode. I finished the Empire one. That is easy. They are definitely overpowered. You don't have to worry about building fighters and bombers unlike the other two.that and you can have the Executor which is a game changing ship.

I am currently playing Rebellion. One thing you have to do is keep track of your population limit. Space stations and taking over planets increase this. But the problem is you ard constantly attacked by a large number of Empire ships alot. You can certainly have a strategy going for it, which involves keeping capital ships near the Starbase and keeping your fighters near by and let them come to you.

Problem is that it's a slow moving process that only incrementally do you start to gain a foothold. With the Rebels you have to constantly restock your fighters and bombers after each space battle too.

Then you got Zahn Consortium blowing up building left and right. They don't attack you as often as the Empire but they definitely make it far more difficult.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Star Wars Empire at War

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

I just remember it being horrendous to play on any platform that wasn't the main one when it was released.
And even then that was a chore.

by platform I mean windows version. And by windows version I'm including any of the seemingly-daily-now patches as incrementing the version even though the number only changes seemingly once a year.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:10 am I just remember it being horrendous to play on any platform that wasn't the main one when it was released.
And even then that was a chore.

by platform I mean windows version. And by windows version I'm including any of the seemingly-daily-now patches as incrementing the version even though the number only changes seemingly once a year.
It's ran fine on the laptop I had at the time when it first came out. Windows Vista. Currently it runs fine on my desktop which has heavily modified Windows 7 Ultimate version.

It does slow down when there is alot of galactic activity though.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

weird. And mine was disc version, not a coughcough version too. Weird then that some coughcough versions of games ran better than the proper releases I later bought... pushing me back to the coughcough versions.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:41 am weird. And mine was disc version, not a coughcough version too. Weird then that some coughcough versions of games ran better than the proper releases I later bought... pushing me back to the coughcough versions.
The first time I played it, it was the disc version that I bought and paid for. This I got is different.

It's possible the version I got has all of the fan made patches that fixed alot of the issues.

I do know like Birth of the Federation, the game can be modded and there are better versions of them.