Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Perfect Sci-Fi Space Fighter "Starfury Aurora"

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I remember JMS once said they asked NASA for advice on what a real fighter should look like. NASA said "Make it like a central body with X shaped wings with engines on the end." JMS thought "oh crap, everyone will think we're ripping off the X-Wing from Star Wars if we do that!" So he gave the designers a brief to follow the NASA idea, but to make it as "not an X-Wing" as possible whilst using the X wing shape. I think they did a fantastic job of it myself, and the Star Fury is one of my all time favourite fighters. The fact that it's probably the most realistic fighter ever put on screen is only part of it, though - they took the realism and made it look extremely cool!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: The Perfect Sci-Fi Space Fighter "Starfury Aurora"

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:I remember JMS once said they asked NASA for advice on what a real fighter should look like. NASA said "Make it like a central body with X shaped wings with engines on the end." JMS thought "oh crap, everyone will think we're ripping off the X-Wing from Star Wars if we do that!" So he gave the designers a brief to follow the NASA idea, but to make it as "not an X-Wing" as possible whilst using the X wing shape. I think they did a fantastic job of it myself, and the Star Fury is one of my all time favourite fighters. The fact that it's probably the most realistic fighter ever put on screen is only part of it, though - they took the realism and made it look extremely cool!
It's one of those things that when it looks functional, like that it looks like something we could make that makes it pretty cool.

The fights too are realistic too, unlike Trek or Star Wars where they look like they are flying like they are in an atmosphere.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"