So what's it about?

Star Trek : Picard
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

So what's it about?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

A fair bit of speculation here on what we might be getting and the RLM's point of view on it.

So it set me wondering, what's the show going to be about? Speculation...

1) Picard quit Starfleet, apparently having "lost his faith" after some big mission. My speculation, they're going to say he led the fleet that tried to save Romulus from the JJ "supernova", and quit after they failed.

2) There is a Borg cube, apparently with ex-Borg being held in it as some sort of prison. Guessing the Romulans took down a cube somehow, and liberated the drones and are researching Borg technology with an eye to developing super weapons. This might be a tie-in to the JJ-verse, since the comic book background of the 2009 movie had the Narada using Borg tech to augment itself into what we saw. There's a sign saying "5843 days without assimilation", so they've had this for about 16 years.

3) There's a "special girl" involved. Sigh. Some are guessing this is Lal, Data's daughter. I think not. One suggestion I've seen is that she's some sort of person augmented with Borg tech to allow her to interface with the cube and steal it or destroy it or whatever. Section 31 has been mooted as having done this to her.

4) This woman feels some special affinity to Picard. I'm guessing this is because she's got Borg tech in her, and as an ex-Borg she has some special attraction to him.

5) So he goes to Starfleet about her. I'm guessing this leads to her being attacked/captured by Section 31, and Picard either breaking her out, or deciding he needs to carry out her mission. As a former Borg he may be the only person who can take control of or destroy the cube, if special girl isn't available.

6) There seems to be a Romulan faction that's helping Picard. I'm guessing their motivation is worry that messing with Borg tech will ultimately doom the remainder of Romulan civilisation, so they want to help him destroy it to save themselves. So the setup would be Picard and Rebel Romulans trying to get to and destroy/capture the cube, with Romulans and Starfleet trying to stop him.

Those are my guesses.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: So what's it about?

Post by IanKennedy »

1) Surely the loss of faith is in Data's sacrifice to save him. It even talks of that in the trailer.

3) It can't be Lal, Lal died...

6) There are two Romulans working with Picard on Earth on the winery, so so I've read. They're very loyal to him...
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

IanKennedy wrote:1) Surely the loss of faith is in Data's sacrifice to save him. It even talks of that in the trailer.
The dialogue is "fifteen years ago today, you led us out of the darkness. You commanded the greatest rescue armada in history."

That's not really what we see in Nemesis.
3) It can't be Lal, Lal died...
Her brain failed, but there's nothing to say that it couldn't eventually be repaired.
6) There are two Romulans working with Picard on Earth on the winery, so so I've read. They're very loyal to him...
Which is curious.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Her brain failed, but there's nothing to say that it couldn't eventually be repaired.
Sure, if you want to destroy one of the best episodes of TNG, you could do that... but all I can say is they had better not.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:The dialogue is "fifteen years ago today, you led us out of the darkness. You commanded the greatest rescue armada in history."

That's not really what we see in Nemesis.
Fair point...
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

IanKennedy wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:Her brain failed, but there's nothing to say that it couldn't eventually be repaired.
Sure, if you want to destroy one of the best episodes of TNG, you could do that... but all I can say is they had better not.
If there's one thing I've learned about Kurtzman, it's that he has no problem at all destroying the best aspects of Star Trek. It seems to be a goal for him.
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

Given what they've done with continuity in STD I find it hard to justify exoemding any brainpower trying to figure it out.

At least it isn't Star Trek Original Universe material.
Startrekanmore
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Startrekanmore »

Is it really worth the effort to speculate on Star TP? Given the recent past history of the franchise.... well first thr jarjar-verse and then the klutzman fiasco. Although frankly I would be willing to give it a shot, I might be surprised... probably not but who knows?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The other day I summed my attitude up as "I hope it's good, but I don't think it will be."

I hope it's good because, well, I'm a Star Trek fan, and I always want good Trek to watch. Hell, I'll even settle for bad Trek to watch! I enjoyed TNG season 1 and 2! I enjoyed significant parts of Enterprise! Just give me Trek!

I don't think it will be because of who's in charge and the attitudes they've displayed so far. But maybe they've learned their lesson? Maybe?