Help! Tech question regarding USS Discovery.

Discovery
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Help! Tech question regarding USS Discovery.

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

Are the Constitution class battle cruisers more advanced than the Discovery class.. what class is the discovery anyways. I don’t know if there’s been technical data added to the library yet regarding it, but I looked and am
unsure what class of federation ship she falls under?
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help! Tech question regarding USS Discovery.

Post by IanKennedy »

Given Discovery is a steaming pile of ... well lets leave it at that... You are unlikely to see a page about it on DITL. It's not Trek in our eyes so it's not included.

To answer the question, it's surely a Discovery class ship? Our stance has alway been like the UK Navy to name ship classes by the first of the class to be produced. Since Discovery is the first of it's class the class is Discovery.
email, ergo spam
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

IanKennedy wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:33 pm Given Discovery is a steaming pile of ... well lets leave it at that... You are unlikely to see a page about it on DITL. It's not Trek in our eyes so it's not included.

To answer the question, it's surely a Discovery class ship? Our stance has alway been like the UK Navy to name ship classes by the first of the class to be produced. Since Discovery is the first of it's class the class is Discovery.
Fair enough, I assumed the “discovery class” in the original post.

May I say, that’s some passion in your post sir! Lol.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

The Discovery is a ship of the Crossfield-class, named for a US test pilot.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:13 pm The Discovery is a ship of the Crossfield-class, named for a US test pilot.
Oh...
Well thank you. 8-)
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:13 pm The Discovery is a ship of the Crossfield-class, named for a US test pilot.
Where did that information originate from?
email, ergo spam
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Various places including Memory Alpha. I had heard the name of the class quite some time ago. And "Ex Astris Scientia" says "John Eaves named the class for Albert Scott Crossfield, the first pilot to fly at twice the speed of sound".

It was apparently also mentioned on the Dedication Plaque in the episode "Context is For Kings" as Crossfield-class.

And StarTrek.com also names it the Crossfield-class.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

fairy nuf. I must say I didn't pay too much attention to STD.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

00111010 01000100 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:09 pm Are the Constitution class battle cruisers more advanced than the Discovery class.. what class is the discovery anyways. I don’t know if there’s been technical data added to the library yet regarding it, but I looked and am
unsure what class of federation ship she falls under?
Since I am on the last few episodes of Season 2 I have been wondering about that as well. Is the Constitution class a better ship than the Discovery or not. In the first episode of season 2 the crew of the Discovery was impressed with the interior of the Enterprise. The crew of the Enterprise also is wearing the 'new' TOS type uniforms as well.

I think the Constitution class is a new class of the standard types whereas the Crossfield class was specifically designed for the Spore Drive itself.

Which kinda matches up with Geneverse time-line a bit as Discovery is I think ten years before TOS. So 2255 though in Geneverse, Enterprise was commissioned in 2245 in background sources. Not sure if that was every stated or seen in the original shows.

Gene also said that TOS Enterprise was just another one of the ships, and not especially special in any way. It's only in E-D that the Enterprise became special within the fleet. Kirk made Enterprise a special name within Starfleet. Perhaps successive captains with the E-B and E-C made the name special as well.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I’m unsure if the Crossfield class is better than the constitution class. As you’ve seen/heard in Discovery Season 2, he has a friend on the enterprise, he’s seen her specs, it would take a lot to damage her. That (for me) doesn’t necessarily mean either constitution or discovery classes are more or less advanced. We know the constitutions were a Battle cruiser and crossfields were primarily science research vessels. I compare it more with the USS Grissom (Miranda class I believe?) from ST:3. I know I’m mixing Apples and Apple pears. The comments are what I keep thinking about that Elude to a possible answer. In season 1, the statement about discovery’s shuttlebay floor being scratch free and the ship must be relatively new. Captain pikes comment about being kept out of the war during the whole event and regretting not being able to contribute. Meaning the constitution (enterprise) was already built at the time of discovery’s construction (or shortly after but as a future battle specific class?). There’s the comment about the enterprise being unable to utilize holographic communications and it being better to just use standard view screen, indicating it’s an older class ship that they may have kept out of the war due to it being antiquated? All-in-all, I think they’re constructed within a few years of one another (constitution first) but with very different roles.