Arctic records its hottest temperature ever (100.4°F/38°C)

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Arctic records its hottest temperature ever (100.4°F/38°C)

Post by Nutso »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/arctic-rec ... 020-06-20/
Alarming heat scorched Siberia on Saturday as the small town of Verkhoyansk (67.5°N latitude) reached 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit, 32 degrees above the normal high temperature. If verified, this is likely the hottest temperature ever recorded in Siberia and also the hottest temperature ever recorded north of the Arctic Circle, which begins at 66.5°N.

The town is 3,000 miles east of Moscow and further north than even Fairbanks, Alaska. On Friday, the city of Caribou, Maine, tied an all-time record at 96 degrees Fahrenheit and was once again well into the 90s on Saturday. To put this into perspective, the city of Miami, Florida, has only reached 100 degrees one time since the city began keeping temperature records in 1896.

This heat is not an isolated occurrence. Parts of Siberia have been sizzling for weeks and running remarkably above normal since January. May featured astonishing warmth in western Siberia, where some locales were 18 degrees Fahrenheit above normal, not just for a day, but for the month. As a whole, western Siberia averaged 10 degrees above normal for May, obliterating anything previously experienced.

On May 23, the Siberian town of Khatanga, far north of the Arctic Circle, hit 78 degrees Fahrenheit. This was 46 degrees above normal and shattered the previous record by a virtually unheard-of 22 degrees. On June 9, Nizhnyaya Pesha, an area 900 miles northeast of Moscow, near the Arctic Ocean's Barents Sea, hit a sweltering 86 degrees Fahrenheit, a staggering 30 degrees above normal.
Sorry. It's all in American measurements.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Arctic records its hottest temperature ever (100.4°F/38°C)

Post by McAvoy »

I maintain that metric is useful for all things except for outdoor temperatures. What I mean is that the Fahrenheit scale works the best for human comfort due to its longer scale than Celsius

Like for example, 70 degrees it is nice out and can do alot without sweating though sweating can happen. 90 degrees is hot as hell but still doable with restrictions. 40 degrees is cold but not unbearable. 0 degrees is where air hurts the face.

Just an example. Of course if I grew up with Celsius I'd probably know the feel of the temp from 20 to 24 Celsius.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"