Nemesis "Sun" twin

T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Nemesis "Sun" twin

Post by T'Pau »

My partner mentioned this today, after seeing it on an old episode of Nasa's Unexplained something or other. I thought it sounded like he was not likely awake when he saw it in the wee hours of the morning, so I did some googling and found the many conflicting articles. Red dwarf, brown dwarf, killed the dinosaurs, is invisible, and so on. Here is my question: did the person who named it, REALLY enjoy the Star Trek film of the same name?? AND, was this what brought about the credibility issue???

Just another musing on yet another Blursday!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Nemesis "Sun" twin

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

T'Pau wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:00 am My partner mentioned this today, after seeing it on an old episode of Nasa's Unexplained something or other. I thought it sounded like he was not likely awake when he saw it in the wee hours of the morning, so I did some googling and found the many conflicting articles. Red dwarf, brown dwarf, killed the dinosaurs, is invisible, and so on. Here is my question: did the person who named it, REALLY enjoy the Star Trek film of the same name?? AND, was this what brought about the credibility issue???

Just another musing on yet another Blursday!
The Nemesis theory has been around for a long time, before that movie was even a speck in its writers eye. :)
I knew about it from reading about ELE (Extinction Level Events) a few years ago. Trying to correlate events and data from solar cycles and phenomena, paleoclimatology, ect (I’ll stop there cause its a lot of info and boring to most!). The nemesis theory was debunked due to even brown dwarfs giving off thermal energy that would be visible by infrared telescope satellites. As for the actual theory? The earliest mention is 1984. Univ. of Cali. at Berkley, gentleman by the name of Richard Muller came up with the theory about a cyclic red dwarf or other similar sized, but visually possibly dark/failed star which would make our system a binary (think it’s prudent to point out that the majority of systems in the galaxy are binary or trinary, solo solar systems are the odd bunch and few in number), needless to say. His theory caught the attention of many because it seemed to answer the question of “what killed the dinosaurs and why are there various unexplained cycles of death in earths past?”. People love simple answers to ancient unsolved mysteries. Nuff said.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Guess the overall intention of the original posting as a funny poke at a mostly terrible film, was taken out of context. My bad. Great compilation of theories and facts for those who didn't know about it at all!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

T'Pau wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:58 pm Guess the overall intention of the original posting as a funny poke at a mostly terrible film, was taken out of context. My bad. Great compilation of theories and facts for those who didn't know about it at all!
I thought you were asking if it was something theorized AND poking fun at it!

Lost in Translation.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”