Ronald Reagan offered Britain the F-117 stealth aircraft

JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Ronald Reagan offered Britain the F-117 stealth aircraft

Post by JudgeKing »

Ronald Reagan offered Britain the F-117 stealth aircraft by George Allison - January 2, 2017
Recently declassified documents from the British National Archives have confirmed what was largely an unofficial rumour.

The declassified documents from the British National Archives show that former US President Ronald Reagan had offered British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher a chance for both countries to work on the F-117 stealth fighter programme back in 1986.

The programme was given the code-name Project Moonflower. It is understood that the British Ministry of Defence declined the offer as it was still a ‘black programme’.

The later version offered to the Royal Air Force in 1995 was the F-117C. The aircraft was to be a baseline F-117A fitted with British avionics and EJ200 engines, plus a number of BAE structural components or sub-assemblies.

The F-117 was based on the Have Blue technology demonstrator and was the first operational aircraft to be designed around stealth technology. The maiden flight of the Nighthawk took place in 1981 and the aircraft achieved initial operating capability status in 1983.

The Nighthawk was shrouded in secrecy until it was revealed to the public in 1988.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ronald Reagan offered Britain the F-117 stealth aircraft

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Interesting. I'd be curious to know why they decided to turn them down. Best guess would be money - plenty of life left in the Tornado fleet at that point, so no justification to spend the money developing these things. Indeed, Tornado is still flying when the F-117 is long retired. Had we bought a bunch, we would have wound up being the sole user - with all the costs that entails.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Ronald Reagan offered Britain the F-117 stealth aircraft

Post by Mikey »

I imagine that even if the money were available, the RAF found little enough prospective use for them to justify making a purchase. The Panavia Tornado filled a role or two more than the F-117, and was no doubt a fuckton easier (and cheaper) to maintain.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer