The USS Franklin

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

The USS Franklin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So, I've been able to check the dialogue on Beyond regarding the USS Franklin. (Don't ask how).

Medium heavy spoilers for the film follow.

Scotty says :

Scotty : "This is the USS Franklin sir, can you believe it? The first Earth ship capable of Warp 4. It went missing in the gagarin radiation belt in the early 2160s."
Kirk : "We learned about it in the Academy, Captain Balthazar Edison, one of the first heroes of Starfleet. How the hell did this ship end up here?"
Scotty : "There's a lot of theories sir. Surrendered to the Romulans, Captured by a giant green space hand. This far, it's got to be a wormhole displacement."

Okay, so...

Not that he at no point says when the ship was built. So, it's entirely possible it was built well before the NX-01, which it would need to be given that it's the first Warp 4 ship.

So presume a launch date of... 2135. That's fifteen years before the Warp 5 NX class were launched. We're already sure there were warp ships around before the NX - the Intrepid and Neptune classes, for instance.

It has a 27 year career, and Captain Edison takes command in 2162. Then it gets lost.

Now that all makes sense, except for the registry number - the NX-326.

Two possibilities for that.

1) Ships were numbered NX long before Enterprise was around. But Enterprise was such a revolutionary design that they reset the numbering.

There's some historical precedent for such things, like the new Zumwalts being DD-1000 because they're so fricken awesome or whatever that they changed the numbering system. But honestly it just doesn't work too well. Why "the NX class" if they've been using NX numbers all this time? It's illogical.

2) The original Registry was something else, but the NX class were so hella awesome that Earth decided to reclassify all ships with an NX number. Perhaps this was part of amalgamating Earth Starfleet into the Federation Starfleet, perhaps each species had to choose a unified registry system and this is what Starfleet went with.

With those tweaks it can work, if a little awkwardly. Any other suggestions?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: The USS Franklin

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I read something today that the registry mismatch is because of the re-registration of ships into the Federation. We know that the Franklin was originally an Earth ship, and then was recommissioned as a Federation vessel after it's founding. It got the NX prefix as a tribute to the fact that it was the first of it's time, similar to what Starfleet would continue to do with the first of the class getting the NX instead of NCC. The number then isn't going to be related to production order against other pre-Federation Ships. The large number of ships from Earth, Vulcan, Andoria, and Tellar likely caused a certain amount of randomization of the ordering of ships.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Do you have the stats for the giant green space hand?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Avatar2312 »

Probably it was the first ship capable of Warp 4 predating the NX-01. The design sure looks like it was older

And after the foundation of the Federation it received an engine upgrade, transporter system, a motorcycle (which was actually my personal YATI, as the bike has only been put there for Kirks roaring action drive) and a registration number and the NX prefix because it was the first of its class (the Franklin-Class obviously - although it was designated as "Starship-Class")
Whoever finds errors in my English is welcome to keep them. I am Austrian.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I find it easy to believe that Edison or somebody took his motorbike along with him on his ship. Don't see the problem there myself.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

You know, I had an idea today that I thought was really cool : What I would have done with the USS Franklin.

Stick to the same basic story. Only...

1) The Franklin isn't the first Warp 4 ship.

2) Instead, it is historical for another reason. For it is the NCC-0001.

Yes, the very first Federation Starfleet ship. A Human designed hull, with Vulcan shields, computer and sensor system and an Andorian weapon system.

How cool would that be?! The NCC-0001! That I know of, no Trek has EVER explored that ship, and yet every ship since has implied its existence by default!

Would this not be cool?!
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:You know, I had an idea today that I thought was really cool : What I would have done with the USS Franklin.

Yes, the very first Federation Starfleet ship. A Human designed hull, with Vulcan shields, computer and sensor system and an Andorian weapon system.

How cool would that be?! The NCC-0001! That I know of, no Trek has EVER explored that ship, and yet every ship since has implied its existence by default!

Would this not be cool?!
I'd like that a lot, actually. And it really wouldn't change anything else, either.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

I actually came to quite like the concept. It seemed to fit with Krall, as they were both famous for their service to earth and humanity, but in the new Era of Starfleet both were left behind by the times.

I can even accept the bike. For one, if you're going to talk about consistency, they've already had the Argo which is much in the same vein. Also their transporters weren't designed to be used by people, and based on what I can tell of the design I doubt it had very many or very impressive landing craft. So something small that would extend the range of a landing party seems quite reasonable.
Teaos wrote:Do you have the stats for the giant green space hand?
They might. I''m assuming that's a reference to Apollo, who Kirk and company apparently haven't run across yet in this timeline, but perhaps Starfleet has heard rumors from other species or maybe an off hand comment from Ambassador Spock.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

sunnyside wrote:
Teaos wrote:Do you have the stats for the giant green space hand?
They might. I''m assuming that's a reference to Apollo, who Kirk and company apparently haven't run across yet in this timeline, but perhaps Starfleet has heard rumors from other species or maybe an off hand comment from Ambassador Spock.
The reaction to that...

"Ambassador... did you say giant green space hand?!"
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:You know, I had an idea today that I thought was really cool : What I would have done with the USS Franklin.

Would this not be cool?!
I'd like that a lot, actually. And it really wouldn't change anything else, either.
I agree. It would be nice to see that the Franklin would be the first Federation starship in existence. I do like that although the NX was a bad ship design in the 2150s (not terrible, just bad. I would have loved to see the Enterprise actually be a Daedalus class, we never get to see any of THOSE), the Franklin turned out to be a VERY nice stepping stone. I can already see the NX influence in it. All that was missing was the little doodad in the middle between the two secondary hulls like on Enterprise . However, what I would have done myself is make the saucer a little flatter (it looked SO much like that damn deep dish pie plate you call a Constellation class saucer section. You know, the Stargazer?), lengthen the nacelles a little bit so that way you can see them extend from the wings back a little, and voila, you would have seen an almost EXACT replica of the NX.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:

Would this not be cool?!
Omg I SO AGREE!!
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Another thing, with all that was said in mind, and with the Franklin having been responsible for stopping the attack on Starbase Yorktown, does anybody here believe that they would do the same that they did with the Enterprise and go USS Franklin (NCC-326-A)?
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Meste17 wrote:Another thing, with all that was said in mind, and with the Franklin having been responsible for stopping the attack on Starbase Yorktown, does anybody here believe that they would do the same that they did with the Enterprise and go USS Franklin (NCC-326-A)?
I don't see it happening myself. Sure, the Franklin played a role, but ultimately it was Kirk and his team who stopped Edison.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-