USS Vengeance !!!SPOILERS!!!

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: USS Vengeance

Post by IanKennedy »

I think the obvious point from the trailer is that the bad guy is described as 'one of our best operatives'. That kinda suggests Section 31 to me.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well Section 31 is more open in this universe then.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I think the point was that he is an 'operative', what he did was obviously not part of Star Fleet's plan. He's gone rogue, so everything we see in the film is off plan for section 31, if it is section 31.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

An operative yes. But I got a feeling its like a top trained Navy Seal or Special Forces/FBI/CIA etc agent going rogue.

But the problem is that he would be in an organization that requires a ship or operates ships. He has a huge ship though.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

But it kinda begs the question of why nobody knows about the ship.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

We font know that they don't know about the ship. It only gives the impression that Kirk didn't know what he was getting into. Could have been as easy as Kirk following Anti Kirk because Anti Kirk was found to be traveling in a shuttle.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Teaos wrote:Is it truly Federation? I was under the impression its a ship of a splinter group.
It's certainly got all the features of a Federation design.
I was meaning more "offically" Federation. Its made by Federation people with Federation tech, but they have seperated from the Federation proper.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

maybe it is some new battleship the UFP created with the help of Spock's knolwedge. Something to start to prepare against the Borg and Dominion etc etc etc... a huge leap in tech... and then these guys stole it...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Could have been built in secret by The Federation I suppose - they did design and test a cloaking device, then cover up the whole incident despite a ship being lost.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The federation will likely now never sign the anti cloaking treaty.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

... and since Nero was not smart enough to go to Romulus and share his obviously greater technology... the Romulans are at a great disadvantage in the arms war...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Or it is possible its a run of the mill 23rd century battleship like TOS.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

McAvoy wrote:Or it is possible its a run of the mill 23rd century battleship like TOS.
That JUST happens to be like ten times bigger than nEnill? :P

Also, while I love the idea of it being section 31, or to help counter future threats, I hate to burst your bubble, but I think that's a little optimistic, to say the least.

I mean, the whole point of this nTrek is to BREAK with continuity, to give fresh air to the franchise.

Sure Archer was mentioned, but do you honestly expect them to be consistent with anything else?

I mean, they can't even be consistent with things like travel times and ship sizes (which is an obvious flip off to fans like the Ex-Astris guy [Bernd?]), why would you expect more consistency?

Sure, it would be awesome, just don't get your hopes up.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

LaughingCheese wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Or it is possible its a run of the mill 23rd century battleship like TOS.
That JUST happens to be like ten times bigger than nEnill? :P

Also, while I love the idea of it being section 31, or to help counter future threats, I hate to burst your bubble, but I think that's a little optimistic, to say the least.

I mean, the whole point of this nTrek is to BREAK with continuity, to give fresh air to the franchise.

Sure Archer was mentioned, but do you honestly expect them to be consistent with anything else?

I mean, they can't even be consistent with things like travel times and ship sizes (which is an obvious flip off to fans like the Ex-Astris guy [Bernd?]), why would you expect more consistency?

Sure, it would be awesome, just don't get your hopes up.
First, I don't hope it's Section 31, I fear it's section 31.

Secondly, Abrams has already said he doesn't want to break stuff just for the sake of it. The Ent is still the Ent, just different, Kirk is still Kirk, Spock is still Spock etc.

Thirdly, to think that Abrams even thinks of Ex-Astris or us even is pretty silly. The ship is the size it is because they wanted it to be big and industrial, not to piss off fans.
email, ergo spam
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

First, I don't hope it's Section 31, I fear it's section 31.
Oh, forgive my ignorance, what was wrong with Section 31?

Sure they're crosswise with Gene's views but I still think they're a cool idea. To each their own I guess.
Secondly, Abrams has already said he doesn't want to break stuff just for the sake of it. The Ent is still the Ent, just different, Kirk is still Kirk, Spock is still Spock etc.
Oh, well that's good.
Thirdly, to think that Abrams even thinks of Ex-Astris or us even is pretty silly.
Well I don't think I said that he does, I just mean, again I could be wrong, but some Trekkers can be a bit rabbid about details that aren't necessarily connected to the story. I'm sure he knows about that segment.. :P
Last edited by LaughingCheese on Mon May 06, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.