Wasp class medium fighter

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Wasp class medium fighter

Post by Reliant121 »

Of course, pressure ejection via air tanks sealed into the seat. Pop the hood, press the button and bobs your uncle, the capsule ejects.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Hmm. I'm not sure that would work - you'd need a lot more force, and you need to get rid of the canopy automatically and much faster. Modern fast jets have explosives as part of the canopy - when you press the button they detonate, shred the canopy, then rockets push the seat clear of the aircraft - far enough that even sitting stationary on the ground you can eject and still have enough altitude for the chute to deploy and be effective.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:...Modern fast jets have explosives as part of the canopy - when you press the button they detonate, shred the canopy, then rockets push the seat clear of the aircraft - far enough that even sitting stationary on the ground you can eject and still have enough altitude for the chute to deploy and be effective.
Yeah, the zero-zero is standard now, right? :?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Yep. Mostly still the good old Martin-Baker. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Hey, why re-invent the wheel? The design of fighters hasn't changed enough yet to warrant a completely new design.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I agree with you both on the landing issues, but it shouldn't let it stop you. The Bf109 was a terrible offender at killing itself on landings, but look how many of them were built.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

All aircraft are VTOL, they dont need to roll anywhere (but with wheels they can)

I was thinking, using a large and strong landing gear to drop down from the nose, then having either a wheel or a small column from the bottom of the wings.