HMS Avenger - texturing experiments

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

HMS Avenger - texturing experiments

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So of late I've been trying to learn the noble art of texturing surfaces with blender. This is both easy and difficult...

The simplest way to "colour" a surface in blender is just to create a material for it. Materials come in all sorts - glossy ones, smooth ones, glass ones, translucent ones, glowy ones, etc. Here's an object done with a simple grey material.

Not impressive, huh?

Texturing is basically taking an image and wrapping it over the surface of your model. Thus, you can make an image of, say, a roughed up metal surface apply it to make the object more realistic :

That's about where I was up to previously - that panelled pattern you see on most of my recent blender Coalition ships uses this method to put a panelled hull pattern over the surfaces.

However, it still looks pretty flat and dull, because, well it IS flat. It's still a perfectly smooth surface, just with a pattern on it. Imagine painting a piece of smooth glass with a wood grain pattern and comparing it to actual wood grain.

Well it turns out, you can do something about that - and it's not that difficult. There's a way to tell blender "where this image is light, make it look like it is standing a little proud of the surface. And where it's dark, make it look like it is recessed slightly. And there's another way to say "where it stands proud, make it more glossy, and where it's recessed, make it more matt."

The results go from this :

To this :

That's the exact same object taken from the exact same angle with the exact same lighting and the exact same image pasted over the surface - literally the only difference is a few changes to how the material is set up. And once it's set up, you can use any "scuffed up metal" and get the same effect. As we will shortly see...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HMS Avenger - texturing experiments

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So this is the HMS Avenger, a destroyer type which is part of the Coalition universe. No texturing, the surfaces of the ship are simple flat materials - two different shades of tan, a glass material, a darker grey, a white, etc.

Then I took a texture I found online which was grey metal panels. I coloured it to approximately the same tan, and textured it over the surface. I quite literally just imported the material from the gear, edited it, and said "use this image instead of that one." And voila...

The difference it makes is really quite startling, yes?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

A view down the fuel tanks.

And textured...

Not perfect, this one; the 3D effect doesn't quite work as well here. Not sure why, I suspect it's just being so close up and having the light at an angle that just doesn't work as well. Note that it looks much better on the front surfaces than it does on the sides.

Also, I'm not quite sure about the pattern being identical on each one. That can easily be altered, but I kind of figured that the tanks would be built to a standard pattern anyway, so you'd expect them to look identical. That makes sense, but it doesn't quite look right.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

And a close up of the bow

Becomes...

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

My problem is this... the way texturing works is that you have to take the shape and kind of unfold it - it's called unwrapping. You've all seen the way a cube can unwrap into a cross shape? Well as you can imagine, it's a bit more complicated to unwrap the hull of this ship. And yet, it's not THAT much more complicated, because the hull of this ship is mostly made of flat rectangular planes. But how would you wrap this texture over a curved hull? Look at this...

At first glance it's fine, but if you look at the curved nose you can see the seams where blender has had to curve the image around the surface. It doesn't look good, and I don't know how to make it look any better. The only thing I can think of is to treat it like a globe of the Earth - unwrap the globe, and then draw a surface that is distorted to begin with, in such a way that when you wrap it around your curve, it is just right. But I have no clue how you can do that other than "have a lot of artistic skill". Which I don't.

Even without curves to worry about there are issues - look at the edges, and in most places the panelling doesn't continue around corners. Look at that edge above the forward cannon there - you can see side panels that are cut off at the forward edge, whilst a completely separate panelling pattern is on the front face. It's not super noticeable, but it's also irritating once you know it's there. And I have no idea how to fix that, either.

Yet...

Watch this space!