Donkey

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Donkey

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Where the Bessel is a big long range, long endurance FTL transport, the Donkey is none of those things. Essentially, the Donkey is the Coalition's minivan. Holds six passengers, or a couple of tons of cargo. STL only, it's 6.4 m long, seats six people plus a pilot. Access doors at the side and a ramp at the rear, none fitted with airlocks - this thing can only go hangar to hangar. It's fitted with old-style repellors rather than modern propulsors, as many low-end Coalition craft are (much as how many aircraft today have propellor engines 70+ years after the jet was invented). Mobility is below that of even many civilian craft... ten gees maximum, endurance at max burn of about 12 hours.

Whilst that's pathetic by Coalition standards, bear in mind - you could fly from the Earth to the moon in this thing in about 46 minutes flat, and if Mars or Venus happened to be round this side of the Earth's orbit you could comfortably reach either one. Right now, we suck at space travel!

And with a Repellor unshipped...

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Donkey

Post by Mikey »

Cool, a culture like the Coalition needs a low-tech workhorse like that. I wonder how you make the equivalence of a couple of tons of cargo to six humans, though.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Donkey

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I looked at what Ford Transit vans could carry and guestimated a cargo load of around 2,000 kilos based on that.

I stuck guys inside to estimate the carrying capacity in people. Eight passengers would fit, but it looked a bit tight. As six there's good legroom. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...